Placement of ro/di units

nel621

Just wondering,where do you guys have your ro/di units? Plus since these things only put out x amount of water where is your holding "tank"?Is this unit and tank on the same floor as your display tank(for those with a house). Or is it downstairs and you carry up some water when you need it?This ro/di thing may be on my xmas list but not sure where to put it. No room in the kitchen.Definitely not near the tank.Lower level of house?Also I do not plan on plumbing up from my basement,just not gonna do it!

psbrent2

Why are you opposed to plumbing to the basement? I have done it and love it. My RODI is on the basement wall and runs into a 32 gallon rubbermaid trash container with a foat valve on it. I have the container elevated on a rack next to my sump. I mix in the same container after it is full and simply open a valve to let the water into my sump. I can do a 30 gallon water change in less than 10 minutes.
Just my $.02

fender

Right now mine is under the kitchen sink. I have an RO faucet for drinking and then another line for DI water that is kept in the cabinet. For top offs and water changes I can generate few gallons as needed from the holding tank and for bigger jobs I fill a rubbermaind - takes a few hours but has worked well so far. A little crowded but an RODI unit is the best bang for the buck in this hobby and will greatly improve success so I am willing to deal with its current location.

f14peter

Ours is in our laundry area, which offers a couple of advantages . . . it's out of the way and there's a source of water and a drainpipe.
Got a Y-fitting for the faucet that feeds the washing machine and one outlet sends water to the RO/DI unit. Fortuitously, the washing machine drain is simply an upright pipe so I stuck the waste-water hose down that.
The unit sends the pure water to a 32g Brute trashcan equiped with a float-valve and from there I use a MaxiJet PH to transfer the water to 5g buckets.

partsman

Originally Posted by psbrent2
Why are you opposed to plumbing to the basement? I have done it and love it. My RODI is on the basement wall and runs into a 32 gallon rubbermaid trash container with a foat valve on it. I have the container elevated on a rack next to my sump. I mix in the same container after it is full and simply open a valve to let the water into my sump. I can do a 30 gallon water change in less than 10 minutes.
Just my $.02
sorry - i din't meant to hijack this post .......
question about rubbermaid .........
i recently lost all my local sources for pre mixed saltwater and have to go back to mixing my own ....arghhhhhhhh - yea i'm lazy ...lol
anyway my concern was leaching of contaminants into the holding water .
i researched " rubbermaid Brute 32 gallon plastic trashcans " and was told they are not from recycled material and should be fine to use.
i've plummed with float valve from my rodi unit and a added salt (like the old days ) circulated it with 2 powerheads overnight and the water clouded up . when doing a ph test it's off the charts.
could i have a contaminated trash can from lowe's ?
i did scrub it well before adding rodi water also ........
is there any cure trick that you used ?
i'm afraid to use my old plastic tank as it's been in my garage exposed to all kinds of pool chemicals etc.
thanks

birdmom

Originally Posted by Nel621
Just wondering,where do you guys have your ro/di units? Plus since these things only put out x amount of water where is your holding "tank"?Is this unit and tank on the same floor as your display tank(for those with a house). Or is it downstairs and you carry up some water when you need it?This ro/di thing may be on my xmas list but not sure where to put it. No room in the kitchen.Definitely not near the tank.Lower level of house?Also I do not plan on plumbing up from my basement,just not gonna do it!
Hi!
Both my main tank & RODI unit are located in my basement. My RODI is in the room that houses my hot water heater, water softener & electrical innards of the house. It also has a floor drain, water main shut off & & extra hookups for water. The sump pump is also in the room. My waste water tube is routed to the floor drain.. I was lucky to be able to acquire 2 30gl food grade barrels for water storage. (we are in the agriculture business) My main tank is less than 20' away from the RODI but I have found it better to transfer my water to 5 gal bottles (the ones used for a drinking water unit) rather than running a hose. ((Too much accumulates in the length & is a pain to deal with)) To do that I use a cheap water pump ( the kind used for fountains) with a hose attached. it is also used to circulate the water in the holding tank..
for me it take about 2 days to fill 1 30gl tank (depending on the temp in the room) Some times 3 days, but it is usually because I always close the valve when I am out of the house.. Had more than 1 overflow & am now xtra cautious.... (need to invest in a float valve... but that is why the unit is next to the floor drain & sump pump hole)
Hope this helps some.. Birdmom

bad venom

Mine is pretty much what the same as everyone else here, in the basment hooked up to a Y-fitting on the washer maching and the drain tube is Zipped tied to the drain pipe on the washer machine drain pipe. and have 3 tees for the 1/4 tubing 1 to my wet/dry sump with automatic float small hole up from the basement out the wall to the tank, the other to my 32gal Brute saltwater reservoir with 2 powerheads and heater, the last one to my Ice Maker/Water to my refrigerator. I have a sump pump with 3/4 tubing from the 32 gallon to my tank and when I do the water changes. Same routing as the ro line to the wet/dry filter. Had no problems and makes water changing allot easier.