Placing corals and inverts

forddna

Stupid question from the newb. Explain the transfer of a coral or anemone, etc from the LFS to your tank, please. What do you do when you get it home?

teen

fish- temp acclimate, drip, go into tank w/ lights off.
inverts- temp acclimate, drip, go into tank w/ lights off.
corasl- temp acclimate, lugols/ tmpcc dip, into tank w/ lights on.

thangbom

temp acclaimate.. float baggy for 30 mins.. do this for everything...
after that, you acclamate water chemistry.. you add a little at a time if your water to the baggy water till it dubbles..( over a time frame anywhere from 30 min to 1hr.. depending on the animal.. snals and the likes can be done in 30 mins , fish a little longer, then corals,clams and nems the longest..) then you transfer critter to your main tank... (critter only..no store water) placement depending oon what it is.. fish and clean up crew, you just drop them in.. corals.. it depends on where and what type of 'climate' it was in prior.. like if a sps was under 250 on the sandbed of a 24'' tall tank.. you dont want to just put it on top of your rockwork under 250... use common sense.. start it off at the bottom then move it up over time..
HTH
YzGYz

devil dog

Originally Posted by forddna
How exactly do you place them? Just set them where you want them?
Yeah just put them where you want them...

reefer545

Placement should be depicted on lighting and flow. New arrivals should all start at the bottom of the tank for at least a week, and then be moved slowly to the desired location. Anemones will do their own thing since they can move. Starting the new arrivals at the bottom is an effort to acclimate them to new lighting.

forddna

Thanks!!

I was feeling pretty stupid not knowing ANYTHING about this subject. And any info I found seemed to assume everyone already knew all of that.

pmike27

NEVER feel stupid, we all started from somewheres!!! Aactuall I have forgotting alot since the few months not doing salt...so thats why I put the very vauge answere....The dood that said flow , lighting and all that is VERY true , you need to know what type of coral and where it og came from and mimic that envirement!!

topfins-mj

Fish: I would drip acclimate them. I have lost fish with just temp accliamation. I got a roll of sillicone tubing and drip my fish now into a clean bucket or jar.
Corals: They can be temperature accliamted in a half hour or so but I like to drip them anothe rhalf hour. I woudl inspect each specimen carefuly since i have found hitch-hikers. Some may suggest dipping them in Iodine as well.
Inverts: they need to be dripped acclimated since they are more sensitive than anything else you buy.
Clean up crews: Cna be temp accliamted and then some water addition slowly to the bag until you reach twoice the size.
Placements: For corals, you should vision location before placing them. Also be cautious of the species. Some need sandbeds and some need rockwork. Some need more flow, some need less.
Placing new corals at the bootm is a good idea for a week then placing them in the permanent location later. For light intensive corals, you need to figure out what lighting the lived in before and then move them up slowly to the top of your tank. Depending on your aquascaping, you may need to use marine safe silicone to adhere the speciment to the rock. I like to use the rock layout better, but some corals need some solid support.
For fish, inverts and clean up crews, they can be dumped in slowly into an open area to avoid crashing them onto other things. All animals get freaked out about your tank at first then start to move about slowly.
I keep a notepad in my tank storage area for such references sometimes. We can be so forgetful at times.

Does the iodine hurt anything in your display tank after you have dipped the items in it?
What does the iodine do for it?
Thanks

Does the iodine hurt anything in your display tank after you have dipped the items in it?
What does the iodine do for it?
Thanks for the answers and Thanks to the person that started this thread in an effort to help other newbies out (of which I am one!!!)