Placing LR directly on glass???

acrylic51

Where would the LR make contact with the glass??? The purpose of it sitting on top of the eggcrate is to allow water flow under whereas sitting directly on the bottom of the tank and sand packed around it no water flow per say.

reefrobert

The rock sit on the egg crate which in turn sits on the glass.
That will form a wall some where under the sand because at a point the LR has to make contact with the egg crate which in turn has to make contact with the glass.
The only way not to have a dead spot is to have the lr hanging up above so there is not contact to the surface of the live rock. Then water will pass freely under it.

acrylic51

With it suspended up on the eggcrate the rock isn't sitting flat or closer to the class as it would just being placed on the bottom so therefore water circulation is increased and even if things do settle you can easily see and blow it out.....Have you tried the eggcrate trick?

acrylic51

Originally Posted by ReefRobert
The rock sit on the egg crate which in turn sits on the glass.
That will form a wall some where under the sand because at a point the LR has to make contact with the egg crate which in turn has to make contact with the glass.
The only way not to have a dead spot is to have the lr hanging up above so there is not contact to the surface of the live rock. Then water will pass freely under it.
You don't want sand under the rocks anyways......

palndrm12

My vote would be for egg crate then sand then live rock. Reasons would be to eliminate the pressure points on the glass that the live rock would create. The egg crate alone would help this but I would worry that the brittle egg crate would crack and the live rock would then fall into the glass which could be bad. I would think that placing the sand after the egg crate would help evenly distribute the weight of the rock over the glass while eliminating the potential of the rock falling into the glass. Live rock would be last because...well thats all I had left. I guess you would have to weigh the benefits of additional water flow versus the added saftey that you get with putting the sand in before the live rock. Maybe at this point you flip a coin and see what happens??? Another thought...I would think that the aquarium manufacturers would add in a factor of saftey to account for the additional stress of placing the rock directly on the glass. I think I read in some other threads people were running rather large reef tanks with no sand at all! Just my opinions.

maelv

I have just gotten a tank about a month and a half ago and am also going around trying to find information and going to start piecing everything together....I just put up my wall, all i need to do now is sand it and paint it...will post on here eventually, but will probably be like you where I pay for things slowly but surely.....this is an expensive hobby and I am not a rich person...lol...and santa is coming to town also...ha ha ha....can't wait to see your tank set up....

volitan_fa

What about getting that really think pond liner to put underneath your rock? It's rubberized so the rock won't slip or scratch your glass, plus its used in ponds all the time, pretty safe for aquariums. It won't distribute the weight like egg crate, but it also won't ever let the rock fall as some here fear, it simply prevents scratching, which sounds like it was your initial concern anyway.