Planning a Saltwater Fish only tank

petem

I am planning a saltwater fish only tank in the near future. I am presently reading "the Idiot's guide to Saltwater fish" , "saltwater fish for dummies" and one other Marine aquarium book. As far as sources go, how many more do you people recommend that I consult, before I actually go out and make my purchases. Thanks.

koiman6

Books are a great source of information but i believe this board will help you the most. Welcome to the hobby:D

petem

thanks for your reply. I'm planning to get a 55gal tank. With either an outside power filter, or cannister filter. Do you recommend one brand over an other? Also Protein skimmer as well. What type of fish do you recommend to cycle the tank?

jcsurfn

If you can afford it I would go for more than a 55 gal. tank. I have a 55 gal. tank and wish I had more. One resone is some fish you mifht want need more swimming room. So you might want to llok into what fish you might want to put in there a 55 gal. tank might be fine for you. I just found that some fish I wanted it was not really suggest to put them in a 55 gal. and they needed more room than that.
Also you are doing the right thing. get a book and read and then ask questions on here. So good job. So many people set it up from that great advice from there lfs and then find this board. It is good they find the board because in most cases the lfs has told them wrong. So beware of your lfs. Not to scare you just to let you know. There are a lot of people on here that know a lot about this hobbie.
Good Luck!!!!!