Planted Tank Redo!

suzy

Ok, guys, I need your help! I need a redo of my tank. Here's the issues:
*It is pretty high maintenance trying to keep the algae spp separate.
* I need something to hide a powerhead on the left. This tank is below my FO, so I use the drain from above for flow. But, I added a PH on the side that is lower flow.
* This aquascape is a jumbled mess. No design or interest!
*I'd like the fish to be a bit more obvious! They have such good hiding places now, the tank looks empty. There are nine full sized seahorses in this tank:

suzy

Thanks, you are too kind and I know you are just being nice. It is overrun and has lost it artistic beauty......
So, let me show a few of the algae sps I want to keep?
I have a few Caulerpa spp. This one C prolifera is easily one of my all time favorite. Easy to keep in check, always warns me before it spores, and looks gorgeous waving in the current. It reminds me of seagrass. It's the green in this pic.
The bright red is a great alga, slow grower but does not allow any nuisance alga to grow on it. I can't guess the name! There are too many reds (over 6000 spp?).
The dark red is also a slow grower, not invasive but also not that cool. I think it might make a good foreground alga?

suzy

This red (Botryocladia maybe?) in the middle of this photo (behind HiYo Silver), and in the lower left is a good grower. I have very similar textured Caulerpa (maybe racemosa?) that has almost the exact same frond but it is green. I think they might look cool grouped?

suzy

This Caulerpa (in the front by the red grape type Brytocladia, maybe peltata?) is a low growing crawling type species. I think I can isolate it in the substrate. I also have another very similar species that looks almost exactly the same, but it is bigger. Bigger stem, bigger frond. So, I wonder if I can use that to create an illusion of depth? But, to do that, wouldn't the smaller frond/leaf be behind the larger?
See above pic for larger spp, right in front of HiYo.

suzy

Ok, last one for tonight?
I do not know what this species is, my guess is a Halymenia spp. It is not that cool, dark and not attention getting at all. But, the tangs in my other tanks love it, and I think it is really good for them So, I need a place to grow it. It gets detritis on it, and generally looks a bit ragged so I need it where flow is strong.
The green Caulerpa (mexicana?)
in the background is a great grower, but is invasive so I need to be able to contain it with some rocks I can remove and use to feed the tangs. Now, it is covering my overflow is the most wonderful way. I cannot stand the look of my plastic overflows!

rykna

Just being nice????? Now don't be modest!!!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWIEEEEEEEEE...any one would love to have your tank.
Have you considered using containers to keep the algae in check? Lisa did that in her 75 horse tank. She purchased a simple sponge holder w/suction cup, put it in her tank, and it became a favorite pod snacking bar for her horses.

teresaq

oh I have an idea after seeing Bang guys lagoon.-- What about using clay flower pots. set the pieces of rock with the macros attached into the pots, then surround them with rubble. might be a a good Idea.

rykna

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/2515907
oh I have an idea after seeing Bang guys lagoon.-- What about using clay flower pots. set the pieces of rock with the macros attached into the pots, then surround them with rubble. might be a a good Idea.
That's an AWESOME idea Teresa!!!!

larrynews

im about to redo my reef and i think i'm going to have rock left over, that im going to move to the sh tank, when i do that i'm going to steal (use) that idea...very smart.
the only thing i have found with the reef and the sh tank is that algae as cool as it is, also becomes a waste trap

suzy

Guys, you are too kind! What great ideas!
I think in this tank, it is just a matter of me harvesting the algae when they get close, and isolating them better? They don't really have roots...A suction cup is a great idea. Clay pots might work.
I'll check out the thread you mention! thanks!
Waste trap? Maybe they aren't growing fast enough? It does seem like the slower growers get nuisance algae on them.
So, here is the rock layout I'm thinking about
:

rykna

I really like the layout. You could hide some power filters amongst the rocks to help the flow and reduce dead spots.

rykna

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
http:///forum/post/2517704
It's like a gorgeous "Where's Waldo"! Those seahorses must be in heaven.
Beautiful tank!
Any seahorse would purchase a one way vacation ticket to your tanks!!!!!!

poniegirl

That layout design is pretty cool looking. I get caught in such a design rut..but that looks very refreshing and interesting.
Are your plants rooted in the rockwork, mostly, or?