plants going sexual...got to keep them separated

jawfishray

Greetings all!
This is not a he said she said thread...it is a simple question with I hope a simple answer.
I have a pair of fuges, because I needed separate tanks for my species only members (octo and mantis) and I figured a pair of 20gl that are inline with my bow front 46 would provide a valuable resource for natural filtration.
Again this is not a thread giving cudos one way or another for macro value and plant filtration...just a question of the plants themselves.
Which of the available plants are least likely to go sexual before they provide any decent growth?
Is there a good way to check the sexual process?
Is pruning the best way to remove maturing and therefore "teenage" or horny portions of the plants before they go sexual?
Any experienced or documented information is welcome and appreciated. Opinions, are what they are, but I welcome these also.
I hope this question does not start a flaming thread, I am just looking for that simple answer from this much learned panel of persons.
PS
To all those people who have been posting images of their tanks...great job one and all. This hobby has really seen a wonderful increase of health and supportability in the last couple years. Well done all.
Ray Boemler
*** Delete***Please do not advertize here Ray***

druluv

Some members swear to this type of macro algae : chaetomorpha
I don't know too much on this plant. I was looking for it but it seems that it is hard to purchase.
If you plan to go with caulerpas chose the grape type species. They tend to go asexually less then the other types. In addition, you have to leave your lighting on 25/7 this keeps the plant in consant state of Photosynthesis.
In addition, 24/7 lighting helps your tank by aiding in the stability of your water chemistry.

beaslbob

I really have no idea about what plant life does or if it really does anything but I like to make up a lot of stuff so I sound like I know what I'm talking about.
Just add plant life and it will fix everything.

druluv

kip: about once a month i try to send chaeto out to fellow hobbyists... keep in touch.. and dont worry about where/how to buy it.
I would like some of your wonder plant. I have a nice size fuge for it.

jawfishray

Alrighty then!
Great responces, thank you very much.
As for the cuttings, I would be quite greatful for the opportunity to be place upon your list Kip San.
Ray Boemler
peanutbutterjellyfish@yahoo.com
I will cover the shipping/handling and what ever charge you feel appropriate.
or
I could provide something from our local waters...dwarf seahorse, local blennies/gobies, sargasum fish, etc...
Eitherway, on or not on your list, I do appreciate the advice.
Ray
www.peanutbutterjellyfish.com

chiton

I have a lot of macros in my tank. I enjoy keeping all of my macros in with my corals in the main display. It's a challenge, and that's what makes it fun to me!
Of these plants shown, the Caulerpa Mexicana and the Halimedas will occassionally go sexual, but not is mass quantities. The grape and other varieties of Caulerpa, I choose not to keep because they go sexual to easy for my liking.
If you can find any of the reds shown, they are great to have in my opinion. They are great nutrient exporters to have in your main display or refugium.
Of the green macros, codium is by far my favorite. It has a moderate growth rate and pods absolutely love it!
From what fellow reefers tell me, if you keep lighting on the Caulerpa plants >16 hrs it will keep many of them from going sexual. I know some who never turn off their refugium lights just for this reason.
Hope this helps,
Chiton

jawfishray

Originally posted by chiton
I have a lot of macros in my tank. I enjoy keeping all of my macros in with my corals in the main display. It's a challenge, and that's what makes it fun to me!<clipped>
Chiton

Alot of macros, I would have to say so...where did you secure all of these wonderous examples of marine flora my friend?
Ray Boemler
www.peanutbutterjellyfish.com

chiton

Originally posted by JawfishRay
Alot of macros, I would have to say so...where did you secure all of these wonderous examples of marine flora my friend?

Oddly enough, all of these specias grew out of Florida Live Rock. I wasn't planning on having so many macros in my main display, but when this rock showed up with all this life on it, I couldn't just kill it by packing corals on it. I'm glad I let a few of these macros grow, because I love the look, and it really helps keep my water paramters in check without a refugium, and with heavy bioload.
Chiton

chiton

Originally posted by Kip4130
caulerpa can and will go sexual even when lit 24/7

Let's not generalize too much here. Caulerpa covers a lot of differeent Macros. Macros going sexual can be a combiniation of many things; lightiing, water parameters, temp fluctuations, etc... I just wanted to mention that 'some' reefers have had success with excessive refugium lighting preventing 'many' caulerpas from going sexual.
I've never observed my Caulerpa Verticillata or Mexican going sexual in the two years I've had them. However, the Caulerpa Sertularioides, Taxifolia, and Racemosa varieties are notorious for going sexual, in my tank, and many other reefer's tanks.
Happy Reefing...
Chiton

jawfishray

Just an observation...
I have dove alot in my life, 750+hrs bottom time, 30+yrs snorkling, and an equal amount of time crusing tidal pools and coastal zones all around the world.
Pristine waters of Cuba, Belize, central Pacific, and the great waters found off of Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Key West, Bahama, Bimini, etc..
All of these places had a great deal in common...a balance of flora, fauna, sand, water, and our calcified friends. I had visited the issue of balance before, but, lately I have seen a movement that is basically squeezing the flora element out of the picture. To be replaced with and ever increasing technological battery of defenses to battle the bits, particulates, and flotsam found within these micro-environments.
I guess my thought is onthe fence of:
"Why be a flora hater?"
I want to have the most beautiful arrangement of plants, animals, aliving rocks/sand that I can...I admit it, I love the marine plants. Even bubble algae is cool looking, beyond the pest affect, it is still neat looking (no I do not want yours :)
So my piece being said, I step down from the soap box.
PS
Gooo plants.
Ray Boemler
* * * Edited * * * - second warning Ray. Do NOT advertize here!

doris

Originally posted by JawfishRay
<clipped>
I want to have the most beautiful arrangement of plants, animals, aliving rocks/sand that I can...I admit it, I love the marine plants. Even bubble algae is cool looking, beyond the pest affect, it is still neat looking (no I do not want yours :)
So my piece being said, I step down from the soap box.
PS
Gooo plants.
Ray Boemler

hurrah to you for great ideals! I'm with you.

jimnlee

I'm sorry, i came onto this post a little late. I am fairly new to the hobby but am interested in keeping some macros because I too think they give a more natural and balanced look. What does "going sexual" or going "asexual" mean in relation to these macros? What happens when this occurs? Also, where would be a good source for "feather" or grape caulerpa or could you recommend another type? Thanks in advance!
Jim

jawfishray

Greetings!
The subject of macro flora is a recent hot topic. Take all pieces of advice in stride, with a grain osalt, and do your own research before making your choice of type or syle of use for flora.
There are many members on this forum who have VAST experience using macros as exporters of nitrates and other waste materials that can be horded within the macros, and when harvested (cut back and removed) this will reduce the potential load of these wastes within your closed system.
That being said. The simple reference to going sexual is like most plants that flower, once they have flowered they tend to die back or change status, like becoming dormant for the winter etc.
There are many plants to choose from.
As this forum is hosted by SWF.com the posting of other sales sites is not looked upon with favor. So do a couple google searches for saltwater plants, take some notes, and come back to the forum and post your questions.
Be carefull to consider all of what you are going to be told by some people. All in all there are some basics that have garnered very consistant results for most everyone who has used them:
no tapwater (this is like you drinking water from the street gutter for all of your water when comparing tap to the flora/fauna that live within the tank...you can live on it but it will usually be tainted with something; there are exceptions depending on where you live but why take the risk?)
use RO or RO/DI water from a confirmed good source.
maintain the balance of bio-load (things that live in the tank) compared to the space available and your equipments ability keep up with scrubbing your water.
for decent growth of anykind you will need to invest in lights. They are expensive and will give your flora/fauna the required balance of spectrum not found with home or shop or common hobby lights.
all the other stuff...kalk drippers, calcium reactors, protien skimmers, etc are a matter of choice and preference.
Good luck...ask many questions, no one here bites and they will bend over backwards to help you.
Ray Boemler
Deleted

jimnlee

Thanks Ray! I wish Saltwaterfish.com sold macros....i'd certainly get them here, but I do understand the point. I'm not sure if i'll be able to keep macro algea in my display tank because i have a few fish that seem to eat any vegetation very quickly (flame angel, lawnmower blenny and yellow tang) but I want to try it. Along with all of the biological/chemical benefits, I think it just looks great. Thanks again

greenreef

hey... now I know what I have, figured it was some sort of macro.... I should have taken a picture of the tank before I just harvested 15LBS of this stuff out of my tank.....
weird thing, I'm running REALLY low salinity and my fish, corals and inverts are going gangbusters, along with this algae.
weird just weird.