plants

stapler

I think the most important thing they can do for you is reduce nitrates if you have a problem with them. However, if you want to add plants to your tank, your best off putting them in a refuge(seperate tank connected to the main tank). Plants will spread all over your tank, and will take over...not giving any corals a chance. Also, some fish eat them, so its best to put them in a refuge.
I hear Bob coming!:eek:

belothsurf

but I agree with stapler, I started my fuge about a month ago and have enjoyed watching it's progress....the pods are getting big and the different kinds of algae is starting to really grow. And algae in my display is close to nil......good thing!

T

tizzo

Originally posted by stapler
I hear Bob coming!:eek: [/B]
How funny!! I thought the same thing when I saw the title!!
Take it away Beas...

razoreqx

I have almost zero unwanted algae growth in my display tank .. I keep a varity of types growing in my refugium both for export of NO3 and PO4 and growth of food source for my herbavors in the display tank.. A refugium doesnt have to be something tasteless that hides in the cabinet of your tank stand.. You just have to pick an chose the types of macro algae you want to grow. Important thing is that the types you pick grow fast enough to make a diifference if your trying to use them as a biofiltration system.

beaslbob

Originally posted by Blue Steel
what exactly is the benifit of haveing plants in your aquarim:nope:

heeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrreeeeesssssss
bob

to keep it simple, animals and plants help each other. land, Fw or salt that is just the way it is. In aquariums we place livestock at much higher concentrations then in the wild. Therefore, we should also have plant life at much higher concentrations as well. My Fw have sand water fish, plants, and a light. By just feeding the fish, replacing evaporative water, using tap, every 4-6 months removing a very light algae, and nothing else they have ran for up 6 continuous years from the original two fish that cycled the tank. Salt require more effort but so does most FW also. In my experience salt requires some circulation and helper filtration. But the basic idea remains the same.
to get more detailed as robert fenner says:
Benefits:
1) Bio-filtering: Macro-algae can aid considerably in establishing and stabilizing new or "out-of-whack" systems. They bring in and help to institute micro-organism communities, absorb nutrients introduced by food, decor and tap water. For systems with invertebrates, particularly anemones and live corals, live plant material can be especially helpful in improving water quality. In sufficient growing strength, macro-algae will remove nitrates, assist in buffering pH, uptake carbon dioxide producing oxygen, and assist in balancing trace elements (e.g. magnesium, phosphate, iron)
To some extent they are useful as bio-indicators; real-time monitors of the viability of the system. If your macro-algae will not live and grow, or start dying back, it is a warning sign that something is out of kilter chemically, physically and/or biologically.
2) Algae Control: Having a batch of algae intentionally growing in the system will go a long way in limiting the growth of unwanted forms (slime, string algae, fungus and bacteria) by competing for light, space and nutrients. For you reef-keepers, be aware that over-zealous algal growth may affect coral health through nutrient competition, smothering and possibly metabolite poisoning.
3) Food: Many, if not most of the marine fishes and invertebrates we keep augment their diets with large algae. What better deal than to have some continuously available for casual munching? Similar to our own nutrition, many trace nutrients make their way through this cycle.
4) Habitat/Ornament: macro-algae serve to break up the physical environment, affording hiding space from tank bullies and aquarists, and piece of mind to the inhabitants. Beyond this, they are aesthetically attractive; sheer beauty in terms of color, shape, size and motion.

T

thomas712

So you want to try to quote Mr. Fenner. Thats fine. I can even agree with Mr. Fenner as well. However you Beaslpod will never convince me. Throwing Mr. Fenners name out does not lend you any credibility do to the fact that you are only running your train on one track. PLANTS, PLANTS, PLANTS.
Lets also take a look at just two things that you also have spoken against.
Water souce - you only use tap
and
Protien skimmers - which you just yesterday or the day before said could not handle water quality like plants can.
Lets ask Mr. Fenner his opinion.
And I Quote:
Source Water
Water contains numerous substances which can affect the plants and animals that live within it in both positive and negative ways. Of particular concern to us as hobbyists are substances such as nitrate, phosphate, and silicate, which, both individually and collectively contribute to lower water quality and outbreaks of nuisance algae. When using source water, such as tap water, for “topping off” or mixing new water for our aquariums, we are often inadvertently fueling the growth of nuisance algae by providing them with a continuous source of basic nutrients.
Protein skimmers or foam fractionators
Are, in my opinion, an absolute necessity for any marine system. Beyond requisite biological filtration, nothing is better at improving water quality; nothing.
The bulk of undesirable organic wastes that we want to eliminate from our systems are "surface-active", collecting near the surface of a gas-liquid interface. This affinity can be capitalized in a column of aquarium water with air bubbles mixed in. Trapped materials, including wastes, uneaten food and more are subsequently collected at the top as foam. These tools are therefore referred to as foam separators, fractionators, air-strippers, or protein skimmers.
Keep laughing Troll Beaslebob, the complaints keep rolling in to the Administrators, sooner or later you'll be gone.
Thomas

beaslbob

thomas712: I was just trying to answer Bluye steel's question. Hopefully that has still been done.
But using you own post consider this:
Originally posted by Thomas712
Source Water
Water contains numerous substances which can affect the plants and animals that live within it in both positive and negative ways. Of particular concern to us as hobbyists are substances such as nitrate, phosphate, and silicate, which, both individually and collectively contribute to lower water quality and outbreaks of nuisance algae
. When using source water, such as tap water, for “topping off” or mixing new water for our aquariums, we are often inadvertently fueling the growth of nuisance algae by providing them with a continuous source of basic nutrients
Are, in my opinion, an absolute necessity for any marine system. Beyond requisite biological
filtration, nothing is better at improving water quality; nothing.
Thomas
Plants are bilolbical filtration. And by your post skimmers are not as good.
Tap water feeds the nusiance algeas. to prevent algaes add the plant life from the original post. then tap water feeds the macros.
So both posts are consistant. Plant life is better than skimmers, and tap water feeds plant life.

T

thomas712

Your twisting things as usuall bob
Originally posted by Thomas712

Are, in my opinion, an absolute necessity for any marine system. Beyond requisite biological filtration, nothing is better at improving water quality; nothing.

You only hear or read what you want to. In the above quote you say that it is the biological filtration that is nothing better to improve water quality. Take out the Beyond requsite biological filtration, <

[hr]
You see the comma there bob?
Protein skimmers or foam fractionors Are in my opinion, an absolute necessity for any marine system. Beyond requisite biological flitration, <----comma nothing is better at improving water quality; nothing.

he is talking about the protien skimmer bob not the plants, or is it plants, are you telling me that it is plants that he is talking about and not liverock, livesand, or other forms of biological filteration, you can't tell me that. You can only take it out of context and hope that everyone else believes that it is plants. Neither you nor I can say what Mr. Fenner truley meant by biological filtration but I could ask if you like, or we can list what biological filtration means of which plant life could also be a part.
But once again your one track mind will not allow it to be anthing other than plant life will it bob?
I beleve the water source quote speaks for itself I need not show others how you twisted that one.
Medic - asprin please

Thomas

T

tizzo

:nope:
It's a sad day when the "plant man" himself can't answer a plant question without flames!! We all put in our $.02, sometimes were wrong, sometimes determined... Some more than others, but this is rediculous!! Let me make it clear that I do not agree with you 100% Bob, but to you others, I don't take every opportunity possible to slam him either. Newbies are on this sight, which indicates that they are trying to do some research... TRUST ME that with all the flames to Bob the point has been made!! Please, offer your advice, disreguard the contradicting advice (like you would if it were anybody else), and move on. Every time Bob answers, the thread gets so long, that people don't want to weed out the info, they just move on. Bob, I think you need to change your name to Jerry Springer, because you are a confrontation waiting to happen!:)

doodle1800

I am also sick of people bashing Bob. I read his 1st post on this thread and along with his experience, he posted a notable source's experience and nothing else - nothing contradictory. BOB PROMOTES PLANT LIFE - OK EVERYONE!!!! Its his opinions and his expereinces. Bob in my opinion tries to help people - he is not a troll. For you newbies a troll is someone who creates trouble intentionally. Bob gives you what he found to be successful. You don't like his tanks? - fine, its ok to say so, but beauty is in the eyes of the beholders. You don't like it that he uses mollies for cycle fish, fine, you have a right to disagree. He doesn't use skimmers, others do. Bob tops off with tap water - great, so do others. Some of the people on the forum dislike Bob for personal reasons in my opinion. Everytime he speaks, they have to bash him, quote his opinions out of context, call him names, and say things against him with hidden meanings and have other agendas, like trying to rid Bob from this site. Instead of attacking Bob - give us your experiences and opinions, contradict him, whatever. Bob is different - so what, his philosophy doesn't match all the "experts". But his intention is to help people and I respect him for it.

kittykitty

I think that most people just get pissed off because bob is telling people to use tap water, shop lights, and plants plants plants plants plants...
for a beginner, THIS WON'T WORK!! Everything that I've seen and heard is bob's corals look like crap..
I think that his methods would be more well-suited for a fish only aquarium, where lighting and tap water and excess plant growth isn't that big of a deal. :yes:

doodle1800

I tend to agree that Bob does respond with plants and plants and plants. People on this site need to know that there is more than one option in keeping a tank. Bob gives his option, and he's persistant. He loves the idea of plants, his passion is plants. Its not a bad thing to express your ideas or experiences. Let him post his opinions without personally attacking him.
One thing I would suggest Bob do is to say - its his opinion, and there are other options as well as my plant solutions. Bob as far as I know does not say his way is the only way - does he? (better not, Bob)...
.:)