Plasma or LCD?

nordy

I had to replace my 42" plasma last week and decided to not go cheap this time-got a Sony Bravia 46" LCD and I got to say, it's wayyyy better than the plasma. What do y'all think about which is better?
P.S. gotta give props to Sears-they have a really cool system for major purchases; after spending about an hour browsing the web in search of the best price, I selected the Sony from Sears. Ordered it, paid for it, and got a text in a few minutes that it was ready for pickup. Took the receipt to the store (1 1/2 miles from my house), scanned it at the pickup depot and like majick it appeared a few minutes later. Good price, great service!

E

eric b 125

i have an HD projecter in my living room, and it produced about a 12' screen on my wall. it could go to 18' and maintain it's HD qualities. either way, the bulb burned out last week, and rather than drop something like $500 on a new bulb i think i'm going to get an LCD. i have a tech savvy friend and he swears by LCD compared to plasma. this bulb had to burn out right when i was financially ready to add a sump to my tank, new skimmer, etc...
oh well. i'm glad you mentioned sears, though, i'll check them out. it's going to be tough going from a 12 foot screen to something considerably smaller. i think i'll be looking at a 60" but who knows.

nordy

Originally Posted by Eric B 125
http:///forum/post/3034483
i think i'll be looking at a 60" but who knows.
It is all about the size!
In my small LR, the 46 worked best. Deals on the more common 32 and 37 inch TV's are easy to come by but like a lot of things, you get whet you pay for! I had noticed some burn in on my old plasma and just didn't want to deal with it in the new TV plus Sony has a pretty good reputation and that sealed it for me.

egill

I have a 52" and a 46" Sony Bravia LCD and absolutely love them. Would not trade them for a plasma for anything.

bionicarm

Samsung LCD's are one of the sharpest TV images I've seen on the market. They just came out with a new LED Technology that is just as sharp, and the screen is only 1 1/2" thick. It comes in a 46" and a 55".

flower

Originally Posted by Nordy
http:///forum/post/3034448
I had to replace my 42" plasma last week and decided to not go cheap this time-got a Sony Bravia 46" LCD and I got to say, it's wayyyy better than the plasma. What do y'all think about which is better?
P.S. gotta give props to Sears-they have a really cool system for major purchases; after spending about an hour browsing the web in search of the best price, I selected the Sony from Sears. Ordered it, paid for it, and got a text in a few minutes that it was ready for pickup. Took the receipt to the store (1 1/2 miles from my house), scanned it at the pickup depot and like majick it appeared a few minutes later. Good price, great service!

I have a 47' plasma in my living room and a 20' LCD in my bedroom. The picture quality is equal IMO. The Plasma costs more than LCD. So the LCD is the cheaper buy.
I like my plasma best because it is bigger.

sickboy

I like plasma better, but comparing an old tv to a new tv does no good, regardless of lcd or plasma.

sickboy

Originally Posted by ruaround
http:///forum/post/3034465
the new plasmas are just as good a LCDs... i play alot of video games so i went with LCD...
Interesting, that is why I went with a plasma, higher refresh rate, better colors. Granted, you can tell almost no difference with a new Sony LCD, they rock and put off less heat.
The way I see it, the LCD/plasma debate is almost Identical to the T5/Halide debate...

nordy

Originally Posted by sickboy
http:///forum/post/3034559
Interesting, that is why I went with a plasma, higher refresh rate, better colors. Granted, you can tell almost no difference with a new Sony LCD, they rock and put off less heat.
The way I see it, the LCD/plasma debate is almost Identical to the T5/Halide debate...
A couple of things I also like about the LCD VS. the plasma is that my new 46 LCD is much lighter than my old 42" plasma and the LCD puts off much less heat. The differences between plasma and LCD can be muddied by the differences between the cheapo store brand plasma I replaced (Maxent from CC) and the brand name LCD (my new Sony) I replaced it with.

aquaknight

It basically comes down to what you want to do with the TV, play games/watch general tv (news, etc) and want trouble free, read: abuse, left on, flipped on/off quickly, not worrying about heat, etc, buy an LCD. If you are going to more into HD movies, go plasma. Even good modern LCDs don't do blacks like plasmas can.

yearofthenick

Get an LCD. Plasma has problems with burn-in. There's nothing they can do about it, since it's all in the chemistry of the plasma.

geridoc

It really depends on the viewing environment. LCD's are backlit, so they will always be brighter in a well-lit room. OTOH, plasmas are self illuminating, so in a dimly lit room they will appear to be brighter. We have a Pana 42" plasma in the bedroom, and it's like having Leno sitting at the foot of the bed (now, there's a scary thought!).

reefraff

Originally Posted by GeriDoc
http:///forum/post/3034840
It really depends on the viewing environment. LCD's are backlit, so they will always be brighter in a well-lit room. OTOH, plasmas are self illuminating, so in a dimly lit room they will appear to be brighter. We have a Pana 42" plasma in the bedroom, and it's like having Leno sitting at the foot of the bed (now, there's a scary thought!).
+1

squidward

I'm a Plasma man. They get an unfair reputation probably from the early models. TOo bad LCD is taking over though. Seems like only Panasonic and Samsung are still making Plasmas. My lil' Vizio LCD looks like crap compared to my Samsung Plasma.