Plastic Hydrometer = GARBAGE!!!!!

jacklax

I just wanted to share a recent experience. I'm very new to the saltwater aquarium hobby having inherited a tank and some fish from a relative about a month and a half ago. He didn't have a hydrometer so I picked up a plactic hydrometer shortly after setting things back up and religiously used it as I did my water checks. According to it, everything was fine...just on the high end of the boundaries. Unfortunately an outbreak of Ich occured, and I began dropping the salinity level in order to induce hypo. After reading about refractometers and hearing that they are a necessity when performing hypo I ordered one with the plan of using my plastic hydrometer to monitor the salt levels until the refractometer arrived and I would use it for the final adjustments. According to that plactic piece of "garbage" I was right where I needed things to be...only to receive my refractometer and find out that I wasn't even close!!! This really scares me...how high was my salinity when when everything began??? There is a significant difference in readings between the two...so much so that I don't see how anyone could possible have faith in a plastic hydrometer. Yes...there is a price attached to a refractometer...but certainly one that is well worth paying.

mystic7

Welcome to the club! I used a glass hydrometer 25 years ago and the thing was pretty damn close to right, but of course that wasn't good enough so they had to come up with these plastic pieces of junk. I thought my salinity was at 1.025 when it was 1.016!

james983

Had the same thing happen when I first started with the plastic swing type hydrometer. It is a piece of crap. Was reading 1.021, when I tested with refractometer was 1.026. All along I kept trying to bump up my S.G. Well worth the $60 investment.

mrdc

Ditto here. My refractometer is giving a higher reading than the plastic hydrometer. I was thinking that crud was building up on the swing arm which caused it to be down more.