plastic hydrometer

tangs123

i use one but most people say that they can be inaccurate;
if price isn't a problem then go with a refractometer but i just like the 5 dollar plastic one

ryanhayes9

yes. if u have a reef it should be at 1.026. heard of people having it at that with a hyfrometer and then getting a refractometer and it was like 1.033!~

eoalulavis

sorry what i meant is that i thought you could run a reef at a little lower salinity just that it wouldn't have optimum growth for things like coraline algae but would be at lower risk for occurance of parasites which would increase as salinity increased?

dogstar

The only way to know how accurate a hydrometer is, is to compare it with one that is known to be properly calibrated and accurate.....most cheap plastic ones mass produced for the hobby are not calibrated very well and the ones that are, need to be properly maintained...some of the glass ones are a little better....How can anyone know if any testing equipment is accurate if its not compared to something that is known to be....even refractometers can be wrong if not compared or properly callibrated....this even goes for test kits as well.....
Lower salinities to prevent parisites can only help some, for fish only systems....typical reefs including corals and inverts need a salinity closer to natural seawater levels, IMO

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Dogstar
The only way to know how accurate a hydrometer is, is to compare it with one that is known to be properly calibrated and accurate.....most cheap plastic ones mass produced for the hobby are not calibrated very well and the ones that are, need to be properly maintained...some of the glass ones are a little better....How can anyone know if any testing equipment is accurate if its not compared to something that is known to be....even refractometers can be wrong if not compared or properly callibrated....this even goes for test kits as well.....
Lower salinities to prevent parisites can only help some, for fish only systems....typical reefs including corals and inverts need a salinity closer to natural seawater levels, IMO
Yep, I agree with dogstar. If it is fish only you can get away with a hydrometer, but if you have a reef, definately invest in a refractometer. It costs way less than coral replacement.

hardcrab67

It's all I use on my reef. The directions said to let SW stay in it 24 hrs to cure. I had the LFS check my salinty and my hydrometer was a degree lower. This was checked by both methods. He did say to check periodically. Bubbles on the needle is the biggest problem for inaccuracy, IMO. I let the water circulate through it for a minute before removing from the tank and placing it on the "level" coffee table(don't flame, I know what your going to say). Its a Coralife so I trust it, but do need to check it again. To be honest I haven't since April, it was still a degree lower than a friend's refracto 4 months later. I do get different readings on fresh mix and the 2 tanks, so I just been adding 1 degree. I average 1.024-1.0245 after adding and my tanks are matched.
As Dogstar stated everything should be cross-check to grade accuracy. I do this w/ every other test frequently and the hydro shouldn't have fallen to the wayside. I will check it this week and replace w/ another Coralife if necessary. A new stand or 90g set-up has put the refracto yet on hold again. They're nice, but not a necessity in good husbandry as accurate readings are, IME. Brands have alot to do w/ quality, ones that don't have needle certificate or instructions on the package, I'd stay away from. Got one as a free gift, never opened it, probally never will.

uk cats

I bought 2 Red Sea Hydrometers and tested both an came up with different results not even close to one another. I also had a Instant Ocean and it was also junk. I have been using a Refractor now with my Reef tank and if you want accuracy spend the extra 40-60 bucks if not its like playing with a ticking time bomb because the plastic will eventually you will pay in problems well over the cost of a good refractor. Just one mans opinion.