Plastic Tote Fuge

mr. green

Question, I had acrylic cut for a sump that would include an area for my skimmer, fuge, and equipment, pumps, etc. I am now rethinking this and want to eliminate the fuge section out so I have more room for the skimmer and build a small fuge from a small plastc tote to set on top of the sump so it will drain naturally into the return chamber.
I have seen this done before (fuge in a tote), but I am looking for pictures, ideas, etc. to help me out with this. I am thinking I would not need a very bid tote and since it would be small it could sit on top of the acrylic sump and drain into it from a valve out the side of the tote.
Look for some suggestions and help.

aquaknight

Here's how I have mine setup. The fuge is the 29gal tank to the right. The rubbermaid bin is the actual sump.
To use a tote as a fuge, just do the same thing, have the drain point on the tote, slightly higher then the sump and have it drain back in. Use a bulkhead, and a uniseal to prevent leaks.

aquaknight

Also, definitely check this thread, and strongly consider doing it. When using a plastic container, it's just one less risk to cross off and not worry about.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/335528/curing-plastic-containers#post_2774950

mr. green

Knight, thanks for the link, I will be doing that with any of my plastic containers that I will use, very good information.