Plate Coral Babies Lots of them

murph145

wow what the heck! i didnt know they did that! thats just crazy!
so does the mother plate heal afterwards or does it die??
very interesting to say the least!

michaeltx

If I remember right most of the time the parent slowly dies off could be wrong though. I think its that they spend so much energy on producing the babies that they loose most of what they need. I fope not though.
As far as the one with 2 mouths it looks as though its trying to split but I am not real sure.
mike

demartini

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
If I remember right most of the time the parent slowly dies off could be wrong though. I think its that they spend so much energy on producing the babies that they loose most of what they need. I fope not though.
As far as the one with 2 mouths it looks as though its trying to split but I am not real sure.
mike
It's a lovely plate coral... hopefully it doesn't die. :(

kjord97

puffer32
First I will say nice PuG. I just bought 2 pugs 9 weeks ago, they are 15 weeks old now and they are loving tearing up my new house. I have a all black and a tan one. They are sisters and play like crazy all day long.
I also am going to comment on your two mouthed plate. Yes it is splitting, it is just the long process. My other smaller green plate, you can see it in the right side of the pic above has 3 mouths. It has been slowy growing 2 buldges out the top and then I noticed each buldge had a mouth. When I questioned Anthony Calfo at Macna last year, I asked him about the buldges and mouths and he stated that it is splitting. If I wanted to speed it up, I could take a chisel and hammer and pop off the splits. Or I could just take a Saw and cut the plate into pieces like a pizza and all the parts would grow a new plate. The only thing is though it takes about 8-10 months for the plate to be whole again. I will see what kind of a good pic i can get of the small green plate with the 3 mouths, My frogspawn got knocked over onto the plate and it suffured some burns and has receded a little bit. ONE THING ANTHONY SAID, NEVER GET RID OF A PLATE CORAL SKELETON.

krazekajin

if you go to the magazine "Coral" and one of its newer issues about frogfish, there is a tank that was featured with many Fungia corals. The owner of the tank writes that his plate has babies all of the time and he has personally given away over 100 1in long corals and the bottom of his tank is still full of 2-3in corals. I think that they are beautiful. Check it out. For some reason fungia plates have more offspring that other plates.

805puffer

hey kjord97, what kind of sand is in that tank. is it just purple becasue of the lights or is it that how it is. thanks

puffer32

Originally Posted by kjord97
puffer32
First I will say nice PuG. I just bought 2 pugs 9 weeks ago, they are 15 weeks old now and they are loving tearing up my new house. I have a all black and a tan one. They are sisters and play like crazy all day long.
I also am going to comment on your two mouthed plate. Yes it is splitting, it is just the long process. My other smaller green plate, you can see it in the right side of the pic above has 3 mouths. It has been slowy growing 2 buldges out the top and then I noticed each buldge had a mouth. When I questioned Anthony Calfo at Macna last year, I asked him about the buldges and mouths and he stated that it is splitting. If I wanted to speed it up, I could take a chisel and hammer and pop off the splits. Or I could just take a Saw and cut the plate into pieces like a pizza and all the parts would grow a new plate. The only thing is though it takes about 8-10 months for the plate to be whole again. I will see what kind of a good pic i
can get of the small green plate with the 3 mouths, My frogspawn got knocked over onto the plate and it suffured some burns and has receded a little bit. ONE THING ANTHONY SAID, NEVER GET RID OF A PLATE CORAL
SKELETON.
Pugs are great dogs! Our little girl rules the house. You will get much pleasure from your 2, enjoy!
I wouldn't use a chisel on my plate, I will anxiouly watch and see what happens. I would love to see your 3 mouth plate!
I feel bad because I threw a very large plate away afew months ago
. He was deflating and throwing up alot, and I was afraid he would contaminate the tank, he didn't respond to touch at all, so I threw it out :scared: Now i feel so bad
Heres a pic of the one I thrw out when it was healthy, the other is my newest one, brighter purple now. Last pic is another shot of my double mouth one when i first got him, he was so small I didn't even know it was a long tenicle plate.

kjord97

Originally Posted by 805puffer
hey kjord97, what kind of sand is in that tank. is it just purple becasue of the lights or is it that how it is. thanks

WOW how many times i get asked that question.
well if you must know, it is my wife's idea, i thought she was crazy about it at first, but i soon learned when you let her participate you can get some cool toys out of it. Now 3 years later she is a the secretary of our saltwater club.
it is a combination of ESTES MARINE SAND color SALMON, WHITE, and BLUE. under the metal halides it gives the appearence of being PURPLE

nctarheels

Originally Posted by kjord97
Yes I will be up for trade when the time comes. Some of my club members may come first, but it looks like i will have plenty. Also i like to make sure there new tank will be a great home. I do that with all of my corals that I frag. Our whole club is based on fragging. www SMMAS org is our club and i also belong to CMAS and WAMAS all clubs in our area. Maybe I will bring one or two of them with me to MACNA in pittsburgh this year. This will be my 3rd year in a row going to MACNA. ok well here are the pics
1 pic is of the 3 plates that I own, it was taken in NOV 2005
the other 3 pics are taken today. 1 st pic is them all open and the other 2 pics are of them eating some cyclopeeze that I used to syringe to spot feed them.

im in the smmas!!! yessss

kjord97

nctarheels nice to see you on here.
Well looks like they are growing well, and i mixed up some food and gave them some brine shrimp which them seemed to love.