Plate Coral ?

florida joe

In doing some research on plate coral I came across this statement. "Best placed on sand bottoms, do not place on rock, as the tissue is easily damaged by rubbing against rocks. Placing Plate Corals on rocks is a common mistake that often kills them." Can anyone verify this through their own experiences ?

nacl freak

I can't verify that rock will damage plate coral, but my plate moves across the sand bed. It could be that it's movement on the rocks is what would actually cause some damage

reefer545

I have seen plate corals on rocks, but ime, when I first started to buy corals, I saw one on rocks in the LFS and so I put mine the rocks. Dead within 3 days. I will/have never put one on the rocks again. The only thing I put on the rocks these days is a nice scotch.

florida joe

nacl freak;2492937 said:
I can't verify that rock will damage plate coral, but my plate moves across the sand bed. It could be that it's movement on the rocks is what would actually cause some damage[/QUOT
i believe that is the reason it is suggested you fence them in with rock to keep them from moving around

damien2818

i have had mine for a year and it is on the sand bed but it does move around when it expands with water in it so i would put it where it has room to expand maybe three times its size or so.. just my thoughts

florida joe

Originally Posted by REEFER545
http:///forum/post/2492982
I have seen plate corals on rocks, but ime, when I first started to buy corals, I saw one on rocks in the LFS and so I put mine the rocks. Dead within 3 days. I will/have never put one on the rocks again. The only thing I put on the rocks these days is a nice scotch.
Single malt ?

perfectdark

Their natural habitat is not on fine sand. However in our aquariums it serves as a better alternative to your LR. I tried mine in all different applications, although it looked best on a ledge of my LR it did get damaged and had a portion of its base turn white. They do have the ability to move and this is where I think that the most damage can happen. I placed it back on my sand bed and it fully recovered. The issue with sand is that its an irratant to the fleshy part of the coral. I bought 4 of the 2" concrete fragging disks and buried them half way in a sqaure formation in my sand bed. I put my plate on them so the sand stays away and it seems very happy.

florida joe

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2493026
Their natural habitat is not on fine sand. However in our aquariums it serves as a better alternative to your LR. I tried mine in all different applications, although it looked best on a ledge of my LR it did get damaged and had a portion of its base turn white. They do have the ability to move and this is where I think that the most damage can happen. I placed it back on my sand bed and it fully recovered. The issue with sand is that its an irratant to the fleshy part of the coral. I bought 4 of the 2" concrete fragging disks and buried them half way in a sqaure formation in my sand bed. I put my plate on them so the sand stays away and it seems very happy.
I was thinking something along the same lines only since I have CC I was going to put some sand in a small encasement in my tank and place my plate coral on it but I like your idea much better thanks