play sand for bottom material

gc1962

Can you use ordinary play sand setting up an aquarium if I seed it with sand from another aquarium I have running. Home depot has some play sand as well as sand for swimming pool filters just wondering if this would work.

sunburnt

You should do a search for "sand" and read all the posts. You'll learn a lot! There are something like 4 brands of sand that pass the vinegar test (you drip a little vinegar on the sand and if it fizzes it's good)... I myself am in search of "pulverized limestone" by PAVESTONE that they do indeed sell at Home Depot. Be sure to rinse whatever you get!
I'm pretty new here and I've found the "search" tool invaluable! Lots of information already posted! Good luck!

ecoman

depends on how much sand u want in your filter... some sands will mix more with water then others.

mopar9012

ive heard of people just going out and getting some play sand then they put live sand over it. in a couple of weeks that play sand should become live sand. im doing it right now. i bought a 50 pound bag of play sand for only 2 bucks then i bought some live and put it over the play sand...it helps out a lot with money too because live sand is a lot of money

murph

You should be fine with any sand labeled as Play Sand, even silicate sand.
Google, silicate sand, and read the article by Rob Toonen for further info.
IMO sand is one of the few places you can "cheap out" a bit in this hobby. Put the savings toward a good skimmer or RO/DI unit and I think you will be much happier.

gc1962

I went to walmart today and was looking at the play sand and there is a brand named garden basics play sand and on the label at the bottom it says packaged by old castle. I have read this is a good sand for aquariums is this true?

littlebuck

I have heard that also about the walmart sand. My walmert dosent get the sand in for a while so im waiting but. I have heard alot of people use the walmart brand sand and it works fine.