Please Confirm before I kill it...

alix2.0

Originally Posted by Beth
On a postive note, aips do kill ich. lol
really? ive never heard that. i guess theres an upside to everything.

jpc763

Originally Posted by teen
yea, id get rid of it.
I will. I have to be careful as it is in the middle of a colony of Zoos.

Joes Juice says it will be fine for the rest of the tank. Hopefully.

jpc763

So I went after it tonight. I got my Joe's Juice and my angled tip. I filled the syringe and turned off the powerheads. I put the tip into the center of the Aiptasia (About the size of a pencil erasure) and when I went to squirt it in, I must have touched it because it immediately closed up.
I waited a few minutes and tried again. This time it closed up and dissapeared!
I cannot find it anywhere.
Can they "move" like that?

alix2.0

Originally Posted by jpc763
yeah i think they can move. well anemones can move. but ive heard that aips arent true anemones? theyre just a super aggressive coral that looks like an anemone? im not sure about that... but... im guessing they can move.

digitydash

So I went after it tonight. I got my Joe's Juice and my angled tip. I filled the syringe and turned off the powerheads. I put the tip into the center of the Aiptasia (About the size of a pencil erasure) and when I went to squirt it in, I must have touched it because it immediately closed up.
I waited a few minutes and tried again. This time it closed up and dissapeared!
I cannot find it anywhere.
If you get them rite they will ball up and die in minutes.

jpc763

Well I looked again before going to bed and it is still hiding

I will check again later today.

bronco300

there are some anemones that can move, what i called "swimming anemones"....they dont have a stem...just a spot and legs on that...then they can swim around in the water by pulsing their legs all over....stupid things

jpc763

OK, so it showed up again late last night (after the zoos closed up). I am going to try to eradicate it tonight. The problem is that it is so small that as soon as the tip of the syringe gets near it, it closes up and takes off!

Can I squirt it from a small distance (few mm's)?

earlybird

OK, so it showed up again late last night (after the zoos closed up). I am going to try to eradicate it tonight. The problem is that it is so small that as soon as the tip of the syringe gets near it, it closes up and takes off!

Can I squirt it from a small distance (few mm's)?

Yep just have to hit them in the mouth from what I've read. Do you have any peppermint shrimp?

florida joe

Originally Posted by Dajoker22
best thing to get rid of them is a copperband butterfly
Imo the copper band butter fly is not good advice to people that are not going to wait and quarantine the fish, throw it in your tank get rid of the aptasia and end up with ick again only imo

jpc763

Originally Posted by earlybird
Yep just have to hit them in the mouth from what I've read. Do you have any peppermint shrimp?
Nope. Just a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp.

U

ups guy

I have 2 small peppermint shrimp that wiped out my aptasia in less than a week!!!

jpc763

Ok, so tonight I went after it again. I got close and I tried to gently squeeze the syringe. The stuff came pouring out! All over the Aiptasia as well as the Zoanthids around it.
They all closed up. The instructions said to swish it into the water column so I did that with a turkey baster.
No sign of the Aiptasia and the hardest hit zoos are still closed. The lights are off so hopefully tomorrow they will open back up. Poor guys.

Next time a Peppermint Shrimp. By the way, how do they get along with Skunk Cleaner Shrimp?

they tend to get along fine because for the most part peppermints are only out at night. They do good work but you hardly ever see them.

nick76

are u guys positive those are aip? Ive seen pictures of Aip and those clear things look nothing like it. Are they a type of Clear Aip?
I found two of those buggers in one of my rocks, they only come out at night. Unlike the orange type of aip which likes to be out during the day and night. Somehow these things have gotten pretty big, their heads are a big as my finger tips. But they dont seem to be bothering anything.
Does anybody have a true source as to what these are?

earlybird

Originally Posted by warlock_king
they tend to get along fine because for the most part peppermints are only out at night. They do good work but you hardly ever see them.
My peppermint shrimp was very social and out all the time.

zeroc0o0l

Nick
I see the same thing in my tank. I have 3 of those white or clear looking Aiptasia. I think they are feather dusters, they almost look connected to a tube on some of them. They dont see to bother anything and look really healthy. I just found a few Aiptasia on the same rock
Going to keep and eye on them and maybe try the boiling hot water trick. I dont want to hurt the other ones though on that rock. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

nick76

Originally Posted by zeroc0o0l
Nick
I see the same thing in my tank. I have 3 of those white or clear looking Aiptasia. I think they are feather dusters, they almost look connected to a tube on some of them. They dont see to bother anything and look really healthy. I just found a few Aiptasia on the same rock
Going to keep and eye on them and maybe try the boiling hot water trick. I dont want to hurt the other ones though on that rock. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Not really sure, to me they look really cool and dont seem to be bothering anything so im leaving them for now until I get a deffinate answer on what they are. Although they are getting rather large. Im convinced their just filter feeders, like tube worms or something, looks almost like the kracken from Pirates of the Caribbean to me lol.