Please confirm ICH...very unusual case.

chrisnif

Okay the links to the pics are below, I'm linking so that you can see the high resolution images. I think its ich but oddly enough it wont be there in the morning. There is a repetitious timeline, wake up no ich happy fish, dinner time fish "flashing" the rocks and glass, evening some white spots appearing, late night (like right now at 3:30 am) fish is covered. The snail pics show the gramma's head really good, hence I put them in too.
Also, I've included a pic of my new xenia, I think its splitting in half, is that how they spread?
http://s762.photobucket.com/albums/xx263/Chrisnif/
Thats the album with the pictures, hopefully it worked.
Thanks in advance

engine_24

I have one of these fish too, and he likes to hide in rock work. It may very well just be debris from the rock or detritus. Is he scratching?

chrisnif

Engine, yes he starts scratching/flashing at about 5 pm daily, i could set a clock by it.
Reef, THANK YOU, I've had about 20 people say "im not sure" because it keeps coming and going every single day. One guy in my reef club did say the peppermint shrimp could be cleaning the poor guy up, so I dunno. There is also a yellowtail blue damsel who is in the fuge who has absolutely no signs of the infection but I'm going to treat him too.
So, what i need to do here is get a small tank (this 5 gallon will be the QT/HT when I get the 55 set up) and put just the 2 fish in there, treat with copper and wait 6 weeks before putting them back in the DT?

engine_24

Sorry I missed the part in your post where he was flashing against the rocks. I hate ICH. I think my guys have it and Im trying to decide exactly how I want to deal with it.

reefjunkiee

Originally Posted by Chrisnif
http:///forum/post/3178974
Engine, yes he starts scratching/flashing at about 5 pm daily, i could set a clock by it.
Reef, THANK YOU, I've had about 20 people say "im not sure" because it keeps coming and going every single day. One guy in my reef club did say the peppermint shrimp could be cleaning the poor guy up, so I dunno. There is also a yellowtail blue damsel who is in the fuge who has absolutely no signs of the infection but I'm going to treat him too.
So, what i need to do here is get a small tank (this 5 gallon will be the QT/HT when I get the 55 set up) and put just the 2 fish in there, treat with copper and wait 6 weeks before putting them back in the DT?
the picture of his head is ich, and flashing is a very good or bad sign of it. i would go for a larger QT tank, 5 gallons leaves little room for things like ammonia toxicity. i believe 8 weeks is what people say to go fallow, due to the possibility of a strain that does not go itno the free form stage until late.

chrisnif

Originally Posted by reefjunkiee
http:///forum/post/3179272
the picture of his head is ich, and flashing is a very good or bad sign of it. i would go for a larger QT tank, 5 gallons leaves little room for things like ammonia toxicity. i believe 8 weeks is what people say to go fallow, due to the possibility of a strain that does not go itno the free form stage until late.
5 gallons is the DT :) I dont have access to a QT at the moment, the 5 gallon is going to be the QT when my 55 is up and running.
For now I've started enriching the food with some nasty nsaty garlic liquor the LFS owner gave me, and I've switched the staple food to omega 1 with garlic. Hopefully that will keep the stuff at bay until I can copper him.

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by Chrisnif
http:///forum/post/3178974
Yes, if you have only 2 fish. If you have more fish, whether they are showing signs or not, you should treat them all. Keep the DT fishless for at least the 6 weeks. (longer woldn't hurt)

florida joe

I'm linking so that you can see the high resolution images. I think its ich but oddly enough it wont be there in the morning. There is a repetitious timeline, wake up no ich happy fish, dinner time fish "flashing" the rocks and glass, evening some white spots appearing, late night (like right now at 3:30 am) fish is covered.
Ick does not cycle itself this way

chrisnif

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3179466
Ick does not cycle itself this way
I was told by my LFS that maybe my peppermint shrimp was eating them off the fish during the day, but i never see the two near each other.
Yes 2 fish is it, i was told not to even have that.
I'm still totally at a loss.

chrisnif

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3179516
Given the time line of the spots you see i do not think its ick
Well my ears are open. :) I've noticed the poor baby isnt hiding to sleep the way it normally did. It's actually sleeping between a rock and the glass most the time. The odd part and one reason I didn't think it is ich, is that the other fish in the tank has no signs or symptoms whatsoever. I know this can happen, but from what i understand its kinda rare. Also, I thought a freshwater bath was supposed to fix the spots on the fish at least temporarily and I did a 10 minute bath in pure RO with no change at all, except a fish that was SOOO happy to be back in salt.
I'm so baffled...

turbopgt

I have a powder blue tang that has been having the same symptoms ever since i got him.. Tried hypo that never helped so i decided to just raise my tank, put some good cleaners such as cleaner shrimp and 2 cleaner wrasses and let it be.. He uses the shrimp and the wrasses daily but always eats.. Its been the same way for months now.. This could be your case also.. If your fish are eating well id just get a few cleaners to put in there and see how it plays out

chrisnif

Originally Posted by turbopgt
http:///forum/post/3180904
I have a powder blue tang that has been having the same symptoms ever since i got him.. Tried hypo that never helped so i decided to just raise my tank, put some good cleaners such as cleaner shrimp and 2 cleaner wrasses and let it be.. He uses the shrimp and the wrasses daily but always eats.. Its been the same way for months now.. This could be your case also.. If your fish are eating well id just get a few cleaners to put in there and see how it plays out
I set up a mega cheap hospital tank today out of a tupperware container, a heater, and the tiniest power head (50 gph, in a 1 gallon tupperware it makes quite the current). I have it dosed up with M. green. Hopefully in a few weeks the fish is feeling better and I can return him to the DT.

chrisnif

Well i took the plunge and bought a cheap heater and power head to turn a tupperware container into a hospital tank. I put a few little chunks of rock in there and treated my royal gramma with formalin and M. green. It seems that the fish didnt take well to the stress of being captured and relocated then dosed with copper, and I laid the poor guy to rest today :(
Will keep an eye out to see if the other fish gets sick or not.

florida joe

I put a few little chunks of rock in there and treated my royal gramma with formalin and M. green
exactly how did you administer the treatment