please cure my MH headache

mabee

Hi Everyone,
I'm going NUTS

Ok I have a 55g, 125 CSS, Fluval 404, 2x Aquaclear 50
I only have two percula clowns and 2 damsels
I have it setup cycled and three months into it but I want to get new lights (I now have 2x 40W Fluorescent 48" lights)
I LOVE the shimmer that MH gives off but I guess I'm not against the T5 lights.
I haven't decided every single coral anemone I want so I want opinions on what you would do if you want to cover your bases if you know what I mean.
I also want the moonlight for nighttime.
I want suggestion on what brand how many of each bulb and why..... I know this question is probably as confusing to most as it is to me and I know it has a lot to do with preference but please help. :help:
I was almost set on TEK 4 or 6 T5 lights but there are two things I don't like, they don't have moonlights and they don't shimmer.

Could anyone narrow it down for me and make suggestions on lights I can take a look at. I would really appreciate it :cheer:

I guess I can take pictures of my setup as it is now if people demands it but I don't know if it would make a difference in the lighting issue.
Martin

acrylic51

Coralife makes a nice retro kit of 150W MH (HQI) w/PC atinics, and moonlights.....Nice package IMO....

lubeck

Do a combination of both mh and t5's. get the best of both worlds. they sell fixtures with both or do a retro fit.

mabee

Yeah I've looked at it but someone said that the fans were not the best.
should I go with 2x 150W? I won't use hanging mount and I don't have a canope where I can put it so I would have to use the mounting legs. I don't want to cook my aquarium.... is there a risk?

lubeck

well..... since you don't want to hang them and you don't have a canopy you may have to go with the mh and pc combo instead. depending how deep your tank is, will depend on wattage but your probably ok with the 150w. personally, if you have the funds, I would get 250w.

mabee

The tank is 19.5" high. Why is PC less hot? I thought T5 was not producing heat? I thought the higher Watt on MH would cause more heat is that not true? I thought for sure that 250W would fry everything

lubeck

yes its hotter, but with the addition of a couple small fans it will cure your heat issues. you will have to acclimate your corals/tank no matter what wattage you get, since you are not hanging them you will have to only put them on a couple hours a day and increasing the time as weeks go by.
as far as the pc's and t5's you need to make the decision of which one. there are pros and cons of both. i believe the t5 have a better output than pcs. i have had pcs since i started and am happy with them. i run 3 mh with 4 pc bulbs. 910watts total over my 110gal. reef 30" tall.

mabee

ok Thanks a lot Lubeck.
Is Coralife my only option then?
150W is $670 and the 250W is $830 so either way they seem real spendy.
If this is my only option and they are actually worth the money I guess I just have to be a real poor college studen't for a while

lubeck

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Coralife makes a nice retro kit of 150W MH (HQI) w/PC atinics, and moonlights.....Nice package IMO....

I think this is what you are looking for. I agree these are nice fixtures and think you would be happy with it. they do make a 250w version as well.

mabee

Yeah the prices I listed are for the two coralife retro kits. I was just a little curious if that was the only option I had btw do they come with a ballast?

mabee

I guess what I'm thinking is if it is worth $800 or if i should get like 6x 54 TEK T5 lights instead from what I understand I can have pretty much whatever I want with those

lubeck

i believe those are fixtures not retros. you need to look up the pro series. i jsut looked and found the 150w was 667.00

mabee

Originally Posted by Mabee
150W is $670 and the 250W is $830 so either way they seem real spendy.
Yeah I know

fishgeek01

try looking at current usa's outer orbit fixtures, or retro kits, not as pricey, i got my 48 inch fixture, 2x150 watt MH and 2x130 actinic PC plus 6 moon lights for 385 shipped. great deal on a good fixture