Please give me your opinion PPE keepers

flricordia

And JMO but I think you will be less than pleased with the colors of the zoas under just T5s. I tryed it all ready with many dofferent types of bulbs, of which I still have if you need any 24", but I went back to MH. The colors seem to intensify after just a weeks time under MH compared to the T5 thing.
JMO.

codylowe

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2720917
And JMO but I think you will be less than pleased with the colors of the zoas under just T5s. I tryed it all ready with many dofferent types of bulbs, of which I still have if you need any 24", but I went back to MH. The colors seem to intensify after just a weeks time under MH compared to the T5 thing.
JMO.
Haha, i just ordered a set earlier today - Nova Extreme 4x24w...
What kind of bulbs do you have for it? I may be interested...

flricordia

Originally Posted by codylowe
http:///forum/post/2721209
Haha, i just ordered a set earlier today - Nova Extreme 4x24w...
What kind of bulbs do you have for it? I may be interested...
Marine Glo, Power Glo, Life Glo, and Shin Mao 03's. I wish I had known you were looking for T5, could have saved a ton. I have 2 Hagen glo ballasts I am not using. They are 2x24/39. They drive a 39 wt but overdrive a 24wt. Talk about bright. It is actually easier to look at the bare 39wt than it is the 24wt. Course, these are DIYs.

eklikewhoa

Nice PPE's you scored!
Not all PE's have predominante stripes on the outer tube so I wouldn't make that a deciding factor.

drea

yeah those look like ppes. i cannot believe the amphipod things, maybe thats what happed to
my ppe's

flricordia

Taboo I know, but what about the Mandarin dragonet? Isn't it one of the best pod predators in the home reef? As long as you have an aged tank with plenty of pods, it seems that this would be the best defense.
I have lots of them also, but the only time I see them bothering zoas is if a zoa is on the verge of wasting away. When I pick them up from the LRS, sometimes new arrivals do not look the healthiest, but I take a risk. Those that did not take collection/transport too well and are on their way out are the ones that seem to be covered with the amphiods.
Those that are doing well do not seem to be bothered in the slightest by the pods.
JMO, but, and I have stressed it many times before and I know there are objections to its use and that is fine, I will still use it as I have for over 12+ years and kept some of the healthiest corals in a closed reef system, Iodine supplementation can go a long way in the overall well being of zoanthids. I have used it daily (Kent's Iodine-8 drops per 50gls daily) and rarely had problems with zoas. I know, don't use it, do water changes, need to test for it, whatever. I use it and everyone that comes over and marvels at my reef tanks always asks the same question 'How do you keep your tanks so healthy looking?'. Iodine use my friend, iodine use.

codylowe

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2721392
Marine Glo, Power Glo, Life Glo, and Shin Mao 03's. I wish I had known you were looking for T5, could have saved a ton. I have 2 Hagen glo ballasts I am not using. They are 2x24/39. They drive a 39 wt but overdrive a 24wt. Talk about bright. It is actually easier to look at the bare 39wt than it is the 24wt. Course, these are DIYs.
I posted a "WTB" thread in the selling part. Oh well... lol... My unit is new and comes with 2 10k, 2 actinic bulbs. Maybe i can score some bulbs off you later, or trade for some zoas.