Please help, anemone sudden shrivel in 15 min

kelley5454

HI,
My gbta was huge and beautiful and all f a sudden ut has completely shriveled and sucked into it's stem in less than 15 min. My water is 55 gal, 1.024 salinity, 0 ammonia, o nitrates, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, I fed it 1/3 silverside for dinner yesterday. I treated food with vitamin c and garlic extreme today, fed formula 2 flake and marine cuisine...lighting is 2 atinic and 2 blue PC over 250 w
any help at all?
Thanks..
Kelley

lexluethar

I think it is fine, they tend to shrivle up from time to time digesting food, or expelling waste. If it is shrivled up for longer then a week I would be worried. Mine shrivles up almost every night when the lights go off, then late at night when the moon lights are on it opens back up.

perfectdark

+1 Its fine dont worry about it, very common occurance for BTA's... I applaude your attention to its physical appearance. IMO one of the best things an aquarist can do is know the physical attributes of their anemones. It helps should somthing different happen at any time for you get ansewers before its too late.

kelley5454

Dark, I love your avatar as well....
After about 3 hours he came back. but it happened again at the same time today? s that wired or what...
Kelley

spiderwoman

Mine Condi did the same thing about 5 days after I had gotten it and it scared the crap out of me. Soon after I noticed what was going on, it was expelling food.
Could it be that you are feeding it too much? How often do you feed it?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by kelley5454
http:///forum/post/2450863
Dark, I love your avatar as well....
After about 3 hours he came back. but it happened again at the same time today? s that wired or what...
Kelley

Nope completly normal as long as they do not stay deflated for days on end. I would say something is happening to your anemone if it stays deflated for more than 24hours. It could be stressed, getting ready to split, expelling waste or just eatin a large meal. But deflating periodically from time to time isnt something I would worry too much about. Unless there are other signs of stress, mouth gaping open, tenticles are not sticky, loss of color or reluctance to accept food.

lexluethar

And honestly, since it is happening at the same time of day it may just be something your anemone does, mine everyday at 7 PM shrivles up until 10 PM then comes out as big as it was at night. If it is doing it erratically and for prolonged periods of time then i would be worried - but it seems fine at this point.
My BTA shrivled up for four days and was hiding in a cave, not really sure why, but it came out today and is about 30% bigger than it was before it started hiding - wierd stuff... Its about 8 inches in diameter at this point.

kelley5454

Well he did it again so it must just be him, I am feeding him silversides every 3rd day, he is fairly large, when blown up he is around 4-6 inches in diameter.. thank you all for you r help I am keeping a close eye on him
kelley

chano

I really think that everyone who gets an anemone goes through the "OH CRAP it's dieing phase. I know i did. Totally normal they all do it and they all freak us out at first.

lexluethar

I agree, i think a part of it has to do with everyone talking about how difficult they are to keep and how they can kill everything in the tank if they die. Now this is true, but I think the difficulty of keeping anemones is definately hyped up a lot more than it needs to be. While good water quality and good lights are a must, aside from these facts they are pretty easy to take care of. You don't have to feed them regularly, unlike corals you don't have to worry about physically moving them into a location that best suits their needs (b/c they move to that spot on their own).
I know anemones aren't for every tank, but I do believe they are easier to keep than most people believe.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2452673
I agree, i think a part of it has to do with everyone talking about how difficult they are to keep and how they can kill everything in the tank if they die. Now this is true, but I think the difficulty of keeping anemones is definately hyped up a lot more than it needs to be. While good water quality and good lights are a must, aside from these facts they are pretty easy to take care of. You don't have to feed them regularly, unlike corals you don't have to worry about physically moving them into a location that best suits their needs (b/c they move to that spot on their own).
I know anemones aren't for every tank, but I do believe they are easier to keep than most people believe.

I posted this a while back in another thread. IMO why I think or believe that the precautionary warnings and hype associated with owning and keeping an anemone.
No I do not believe they are difficult to keep, IMO. Although I haven't owned them all and I do believe some require more attention to environment than others.
I firmly believe that the warnings listed for this animal are for the well being of the creature and for the welfare of our tanks. The difficulty factor they are given IMO is not because the tank isnt mature enough, but more in combination the experience of the hobbiest too. Typically if you are inquiring about an anemone asking common questions like feeding, typical habits of a specific anem, lighting requirements, placement in your tank etc etc... then as a hobbiest you have done to date little or no research on this particular animal. In that circumstance I belive it is necessary to give advise reguarding the special needs required in caring for one. As a new hobbiest you are new to all aspects of reef keeping, husbandry, lighting, feeding maintenance etc... getting an anemone that has particular needs would be difficult to a newcomer who is still trying to get a handle on all of this. Issues like, how their tank is going to be maintained, schedules, water tests and water changes. Its without question that any accidents should they happen are more than likley to happen early on. EG. dosing without research and then asking after the fact, over feeding or adding too much LR again causing a spike or cycle. Obviously those are a few of many. But we have all read posts of what beginners have done before asking for advise. Among a list of other things than can go wrong with a new tank set up. IMO this all runs hand in hand with an inexperienced hobbiest, and now we add an anemone into the mix. And as we all know they are more delicate animals being affected by a wider range of obsticles and issues in our tanks. Getting sucked into power heads, moving around and fighting with corals. Unlike fish when an anemone dies it typically does not get consumed right away or at all by your clean up crew. They decay very quickly and can cause huge swings in water chemistry. If they get caught in power heads or filters and do not die they can release toxins into the water, and get stressed out. If not found and cared for they can die now you have 2x the trouble. Typically, recomendations to hobbiests to wait for tank maturity of at least 8 months is more for their experience level and growing pains than it is for the difficulty in keeping an anemone. It would be nice to make a sticky about anemones in the forum. I posted this as MO so I am not saying this should be part of it. But as a guidline it explains to the novice why an anemone is considered difficult to keep.

lexluethar

Exactly what i was saying, although they may be difficult for someone who has no idea how to maintain a SW tank. Those who are aware of water changes, their water chemistry, and lighting, there is almost no reason why they couldn't handle a typcial anemone (there are always exceptions).