Please HELP Brown slime algae

reb

For the last 4 days I have been fighting a brown nslime algae on my sand. Acts just like red slime algae but is brown. I tried scooping it out, just comes back. I tried red slime algae remover has always worked but didn't do anything. It is a 125 reef tank with 30 gal fuge. Been up and running 8 months. Chemical levels seem fine. Lights are pc's (bulbs are all only 5 months old) running 8 hours and fuge light running opposite for about 8 hours. I have only 6 fish and don't think I am overfeeding. Please help?

dad

Very interesting. I have this trouble a few times and hod it last month?
After thinking about it: It happens every year about the same time? I wish I would have kept a log.
Just wondering if the weather change has anything to do with it?
Anyhow; I bought more snails(Ilyanassa obsoleta) and the problem is now solved.

mitzel

I too have had an out break of this red slime algee . scoopin and sifting and vaccuming do nothing . :thinking: I have more snails and hermits on the way. hopefully this will be under control in a few days.

murph

How many scarlet/red leg hermits do you have?
Mine spend most of there time on the LR but when something begins to build up on the sand they seem to know. I had a few small patches beginning this week and when I returned home from work the hermits where on the sand which is unusual for them. They left trails of clean sand similar to a snail path on your glass.
I think the recommended for these is 1 per every 3 to 4 gallons of tank capacity. Get the red leg ones with the yellow faces. I have even seen these guys dinning on red slime when nothing else would touch it.

acrylic300

I also recently have this problem. The sand forms a matt with gas bubbles all over it then gets darker and thicker by the hour.
I've been shuting the pumps off and bull dozing it with a fish net. Im sure there must be a better solution.