please help clown choking!!!

1tang2nemo

Ive got a common clown thats choking! I was up late last night when the lights were out to watch the little critters and decided to feed a frozen cube. When I went to put water in the cup to unthaw the cube the cube fell in the aquaium and the clown ate some of it. When I got up this morning I found him with a piece stuck in his mouth and now 7hrs later its still there. I think he got a frozen piece and it unthawed in his mouth wedging itself in there. What should I do the little guy doesn't look so good? I'll post a pic asap.

1tang2nemo

its hard to see but his mouth is wedged open and he is constantly making a thrust motion should I try to manually take it out? I would hate to lose him Knowing i did nothing to try and save him.

rcoultas

Can you visually verify that there is something in his mouth? How big is he ?
Trying to remove it can be risky - it's like doing a surgical procedure doubling the risk due to the stress factor.
Are his gills moving and is he swimming about?

rcoultas

best advice you have already received in the other forum - give it some time to clear it on his own unless he either stops breathing or starts laying down - your good intentions could otherwise kill him. He will probably do fine though

sepulatian

In 7 hrs the food woud be mush. Something else is going on if he has not either spit it out or swallowed it by now.

1tang2nemo

yeah he made it I had to take the food out myself with long needle nose plyers. he's back to normal.