Please help end this confusion - size of filter/refuge cavity

lazarus

I cannot figure out why the LFS and websites differ from what I read on this boards so I think I must be missing something! They advertise sump/skimmer/refuge combos for 100g tanks that are 12-15g in size. People here seem to want a unit closer to 40g. Why such a big difference? I am about to get my 100g and want a combo unit for the cabinet underneath. I can get a good deal on a unit that is 15g....is it enough for a FOWLR that might someday grow up to contain corals? Or should I go up to something larger right away??? Thanks in advance!

ddboy

I would say about a 30 gallon should be suffient. 10-15 gallon could be on the danger level if something ever went wrong. I have a 150g and a sump of about 40gallon and it doesn't have too much more room left when I shut off the pumps.
but 30gallon should fit under your stand.

squidd

I cannot figure out why the LFS and websites differ from what I read on this boards so I think I must be missing something! They advertise sump/skimmer/refuge combos for 100g tanks that are 12-15g in size.
They also offer a Sea Clown skimmer for that size tank...

The difference is in what "kinda sorta" works and what works effectively...

lazarus

Squidd - i read your Plumbing 101 last night -- very helpful -- and am looking for a 20-30g unit. Unfortunately, I am NOT handy....see my other post re: best combo unit. Can you help????