PLease help...I need help with my refug and pump flow, please...quickly.

ntvflgirl

Hello everyone. Thanks for all the help you've given me so far in moving my tank over to a larger size. I'm setting up my refugium, and I"m having a problem. My pump is rated for 1017 gallons per hour. I have a one inch flow from the overflow into the fuge. The pump pumps it out faster than the water can get into the last chamber. What am I doing wrong?

golfish

your overflow can only do about 600-700 gph so your pump is pump way too fast. I don't know what pump you have but you might try putting a ball valve on the output side of the pump. if its a pressure rated pump you might be best directing some of the flow back into the sumpfuge
FWIW, that a WHOLE LOT OF FLOW going through a fuge:eek: The idea is to have a low flow going though the fuge.

golfish

Just to add. I have a 30 gal fuge and a separate 40 gal sump. I run about 300 gph through much fuge, eben that's kind of high.

ntvflgirl

Well, I guess in essence, it's an ecosystem, not a fuge. I built my own ecosystem and put in the miracle mud. They suggest a flow of 1000 gph. I'm using a new pump...a Lifeguard Quietone...supposed to be new. For aquariums and fountains. So...do I still need a smaller pump? Even cutting a inner wall down won't do it?

golfish

if you want to get the flow up to 1000 gph you'll need to redrill for a bigger bulkhead or add another overflow. If you want to slow the pump down just add a ball valve to the output side. your slow flow is coming from the overflow pipebulkhead, not the fuge

ntvflgirl

I just sent my husband to get a smaller pump. That should do the trick, right? Another question. Is 6-7 hundred gallons enough current for a 75?

golfish

it would have been a lot better to add the ball valve....I guess this will be a reef. I would like to see twice that flow on a 75. You don't want to get all your flow from a return pump. I only do about 1000 gph, total through my fuge and sump. I get most of my flow from the closed loop (2000 gph) and from a SEIO pump (800 gph)

ntvflgirl

sigh...great...lol. So what is the advantage of a ball valve on the pump rather than a smaller pump? And as for current, I have plenty of ph's, I was just hoping not to have to use them...lol. Yes, it will be a reef...hopefully. Still have some lighting upgrades to do.

golfish

The advanatge of the ball valve is that you can use the pump you have and you'll always have the extra flow if you need it. Another thing you could have done was kept the bigger pump and use it for a closed loop. This way you would have more flow and no powerheads. Setting up a closed loop is easy easy easy.

golfish

Originally posted by ntvflgirl
okay, how do I set up a closed loop?

Come on, did you do your homework before you asked:D Do I need to tell the teacher?
Go back and look at my pics on this thread. It will give you some idea https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/129884/what-is-a-closed-loop-system-and-how-does-it-work
You'll need to make a U-tube out of PVC for the pump supply because your tanks isn't drilled for it. You can return from the pump with lines that go up and over the top of the tank just like the U-tube. Its really really simple. Study the pictures and tell me what you come up with.
here's my e-mail if you'd rather use that sf49er1959@aol.com