Please help ID and cure this!

bona42na

High all, last night my tang showed these white spots for the first time. I did a water check and in a week my nitrates had gone from 5 to close to 100! Ammonia close to zero Ph 8.4 . I changed 5 gallons which I had and am making another 10 as we speak. Upon close look the spots are not dimensional and are rather pale but some more this morning when I took the picture he already had some more. Hes acting fine,breathing and eating great but this has to be identified and treated. Its a 110G and the only other inhabitants are a Humu trigger some CC Starfish and snails . What is it, can and should I do Thanks in advance Peter

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How long have you had this fish? Also, can you get a closer shot?
I am thinking it is ich. Have you introduced any new fish recently?

bona42na

Beth its going on 3 weeks tomorrow.Hes the latest addition and only 2nd fish. Tank has been cycled about two months now. I have a better much larger picture that I cannot crop but could e mail to you if that helps .

bona42na

One last thing, the only thing I changed during the week was I added 10 small red mangrove plants to my sump to help extract the nitrates !

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Lets see if Terry can take a look at this pic. I'm not sure that it is ich, it looks like it may be flukes.
Lets get his opinion.
Also, I'm assuming you did not QT these fish before introducing them into your display?

bona42na

No I didnt I dont yet have a setup for that . I will attempt to put one together ASAP . thanks for your continued help. Peter

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you should think about putting one together now. If this fish is going to be treated, it will need to be done in a QT since you obviously have LR and LS.

oyam1

can i have LR and LS in my QT for new fish.
if i should ever need to do hypo, will it harm LR and LS?:notsure: