please help id this coral hitchhiker

sturner

My new live rock came in this past weekend and it is loaded with stuff! Lots of corals and hitchhikers. One rock that was in the batch has two areas that still have some type of coral in the base but I have no idea what type of coral it is please help if you can.
okay here we are...

sturner

Here are some more of the corals that were on my rock. If you know the names of any of these, please share them! This was awesome rock!!!
:cheer: :joy:

sturner

Thanks ifirefight. I realized that they were zoas mostly, I was just hoping someone knew the color names if they were common ones. Aren't there some green button polyps as well? And the red one with stringy tentacles...Thats almost as big as a quarter! :joy:

ifirefight

Not sure of exact names....big as a quarter??? Very nice. Bronco 300 is the ZOO man,,,Im sure as soon as he sees this...it will be addressed.

bronco300

holy crap you got loaded up!!! sweet deal....those 2nd in almost look like the zombies but are not-almost looks like a version of safecrackers if it brightens up...i used to have some like that as well...cant think for the life of me what they are called...the 3rd looks like ring of fire i believe, the first look like Green Crossettes...the others not sure...these are just names though, not to get hung up on...but thats what they look like to me, could be otherwise, especially if they change morphs after being in your tank after a while...good grab though thats for sure sara!

sturner

Nobody has any ideas what the coral in the top two pics might be??? I need to know where to place this baby! Up top near the lights, on the sand, to the sides???
Surely somebody recognizes the skeleton maybe?

bronco300

are you sure its coral and not just some algae growth? it looks like the first in the skeleton there is a cirlcular piece which would say to me that you should be seeing polyps if that skeleton has its orginal coral on it...for the second which part am i looking at, oh wait, the first is blown up from the second...if that lower part is coral looks like a monti, but i'm not that great with sps.

sturner

Thanks Bronco. I'll google some sps corals.
Well, it's not corraline, because it's soft. Not as soft as a mushroom but definetly soft. Both places on either side of the crab picture are the same coral. The one at the bottom looks like it may be thicker? and it could be my imagination but seems to be rising up over the ridges now. I've also just found two more unidentified corals on this shipment of rock too! One is an area that has two quarter size brown patches. I thought is was just algae and even tried to scrub it off. Today both patches are raised up just a little with little polyps sticking out but the whole thing is brown, polyps and all. I'm going to try to position that rock in a better light location. The other one I found is on the back of the same rock and the only way I can describe is is a 4" long 1/4" wide strip of greyish/bluish coral. feels like leather or rubber underwater, but also somewhat soft. This side of the rock doesn't haven't any corraline on it, so I don't think it was getting a lot of light, whatever is was. I'll try to get pics tonight.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by sturner
Aren't there some green button polyps as well? And the red one with stringy tentacles...Thats almost as big as a quarter! :joy:
thats a type of protopalythoa, or as you said button polyp.

sturner

This rock is supposed to be Indonesian live rock. However I noticed just a couple of tonga branches in the mix. That's what the ricordia was on. Even tonight I'm noticing more and more 'stuff' and all this on just 30 lbs of rock

I'm still looking for ideas on what the coral is in the first photos.