Please help ID this hitchhiker

saltydogz

I found this small snail today in my tank. I'm not sure if I sould leave him alone or take him out. I know there are a million different types of snail, but though I'd try in case someone has seen this one. Any ideas?

auntkaren

Look up Whelks, Whelks have a probiscus and if memory serves, whelks eat some corals. If it's not a whelk then I'd bet it's a good snail. :)

saltydogz

Thanks for all the quick answers. It seems the little snail may be a safe one. I'll keep him in for awhile and see how he does.

rbrockm1

this is a nassurious snail. they are good. If you got him for free then you are lucky. My lfs sells them for $6 a piece.

reefkprz

its similar to a nassarius but its not. the shell is too shiny. it is a very benificial fast breeding algae eating snail that for some reason I just cant remember the name of I have hundreds in my tank and give them away to friends and pet stores. this snail does not dive in the sand but cleans surfaces the small bite pattern of the mouth is good for cleaning and it can fit into small crevices for cleaning and does not get big enough to "bulldoze" and knock stuff over. why cant I remember the name? curse my rotten memory.