please help ID this?

khaosreign

Hey all this coral came on my live rock and surrvived. My LFS was very surprised that it did. I have been trying for about a month to ID it and have had no luck. Any guesses would be much appreciated. Its pretty cool and it seems to be growing and thriving in my tank. Please nobody tell me that i have to pull it out because its bad. HAHA

viper_930

It's either a favia or micromussa. The polyps of porites are much smaller.
It may have been alive when you first got it, but it's just a dead skeleton now.

It is growing, you can see the lip underneath them. It is a favia. I have one that started out as only one of the little circular guys and now it is about the size of yours.

khaosreign

Okay the LFS told me last night that if it still has the hair like fibers on it that it still could be alive. It has those hair like fibers. Is the Lfs correct or is he just blowing smoke. thanks.

ophiura

I definitely don't know what is meant by the hair like fibers. To me another problem is that there is some algae growth on it, IMO. Hard surfaces are prized and quickly colonized by all sorts of things. What we would really need to see is actual polyps.