Please help just a few questions

pezcadora

We started our 24G nano cube 3 weeks ago. We added 20 lbs of live rock and some live sand. Anyway ammonia will not come down, started at 3.7 and has stayed there. I have done water changes and scrubbed the live rock twice. Since then I have left it alone. My question is: Is the ammonia going to kill any and all hitch-hikers? What about the bacteria to lower the ammonia? Is it just a matter of time or will the toxic levels kill them too? There are no fish in our tank, we have some hair algae and dark purple stuff growing on the rock. I am patient but I just wonder how long it will take the ammonia to come down. :notsure: I was told in a previous post to stop doing water changes. But nothing is improving I need some advice please.
Any and all responses are appreciated.

bsp

You might try a poly filter pad that can be cut and put in your filter system. It removes harmful organics,metals,ammonia and phosphates.It's put out by Poly-Bio-Marine,Inc. When it is used up it changes colors.

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by pezcadora
We started our 24G nano cube 3 weeks ago. We added 20 lbs of live rock and some live sand. Anyway ammonia will not come down, started at 3.7 and has stayed there. I have done water changes and scrubbed the live rock twice. Since then I have left it alone. My question is: Is the ammonia going to kill any and all hitch-hikers? What about the bacteria to lower the ammonia? Is it just a matter of time or will the toxic levels kill them too? There are no fish in our tank, we have some hair algae and dark purple stuff growing on the rock. I am patient but I just wonder how long it will take the ammonia to come down. :notsure: I was told in a previous post to stop doing water changes. But nothing is improving I need some advice please.
Any and all responses are appreciated.
Your tank needs to cycle. Cycling usually takes about 1 month and for some people it takes about 3 months. Stop scrubbing the live rocks. Let the tank be. Don't do excessive water changes. Continue to do 2 gallons of water change every week. Have the lights on for 8hours. Keep the filters running. And if you have some fish food, put some fish food as if you had fish (not too much, just a little) this will help with your cycling as it did for me. I got my tank to cycle in 3 weeks or so. And dont worry about the hitchhikers on the live rocks. After your tank cycles, it will bring down the ammonia, you'll also have nitriate spikes and nitrite spikes as well while your tank goes through its cycle. Just WAIT. :)

pappy112

Believe me, I posted the same question for weeks.
I added cocktail shrimp to decay,
the live rock will produce ammonia
next your nitrites will spike!
It sucks but it will work!
mine took 8 weeks
I scrubs the rocks 4 week but the decaying material caused the spike
finally after 8 weeks I have fish and hermits
I am going tommorow to get corals
Just wait my friend
(ps, I added cycle to help, that will not hurt at all!)

pezcadora

Thank you everyone who commented. It helps knowing that this is normal. My frustrations are starting to dissapear.
So thank you so much.