please help lots of bubbles in the tank

lkpatterson

Hi,
I have a 3 week old 75g reef ready tank that was set up by the lfs. also installed a sea clone protein skimmer. since it was set up I have had microbubbles in the display tank. I have tried turning off the skimmer, adjusting the valve, filling up the sump to the highest acceptable level, also have called back to the lfs for help but no answer as of yet. I'm getting really impatient with this. I was hoping someone out there could help me out. I didn't set it up and the lfs didn't leave the manual.

lkpatterson

btw I have 100 lbs of lr and ls that was placed 3 weeks age as well. I asked about additional powerheads but he said I didn't need them. water parameters are normal. I have 2 cinnamon clowns that I placed 4 days ago. Also have 20 snails and 2hermit crabs.

lkpatterson

also the lfs didn't put the bio chamber in the sump. He said this could cause my nitrates to go up the older the system got. Just a thought.

T

thomas712

You will literally have to check all plumbing conections.
Did the LFS use teflon tape on all threaded conections?
Double check for any leaks.
Look in the sump and see if you find any micro bubbles, that might be being sucked up by the return pump.
Any hose clamps? are they on tight.
You say you ruled out the skimmer by turning it off right?
Bio chamber? can you take or post a pic for us?
Thomas

lkpatterson

no teflon tape that I can see. I can see the bubbles coming directly from the return hose into the tank. The sump has a few bubbles around the protein skimmer. The waterflow from the overflow in the sump is vigorous. I can see bubbles in the bottom part of the overflow as well. Sorry this is really hard for me to describe, I will try to post a pic soon.

moonrs

I'm not sure if the source of your bubbles is coming from the Protein skimmer or not, but I'm going to quote a response I posted earlier concerning my seaclone skimmer:
Originally posted by Moonrs
Concerning you protein skimmer, I also have a SeaClone 100, but I believe many skimmers have similar features, specifically some type of Air Intake... IMO, there's at least two things to consider. First, it usually takes awhile (a few weeks) for a skimmer to get "broken in". Assuming you've been using your skimmer since you started up your tank, that's should not be the problem. Second, the problem I think you're having is that the Air Intake is inproperly adjusted... It may seem like an obvious question, but is yours open? :notsure: I had a problem with that once because I accidently closed it all the way while trying to adjust the bubbles out. Too much air going into your skimmer and on into the tank can be a problem also. If too many bubbles are being pushed through the skimmer, more of the protein you're trying to remove goes back into the tank , instead of the collection cup. If you'll close the air intake all the way and then slowly
turn it, a tiny bit at a time, waiting a minute
or so between turns, you'll slowly get fewer and fewer bubbles. You'll probably end up turning it at least
a couple of full turns before it gets close to the proper adjustment level. Remember, you shouldn't remove the air valve totally, nor should it be closed all the way. Patience will pay off with the protein skimmer working as it's intended; removing the "bad" stuff from your water.
Good luck with your tank! HTH

wyldgunz

I would make sure your pump is the correct size .. if its not pushing enough water through it leaves room for air to get pocketed in the pipes. also it could be a bad pump , or constricted flow in a pipe. Or possibly too much pipe for the pump to handle.
Is your overflow keeping up with the pump?
I would go to the LFS in person and tell them they are going to have to pay a thrid party to look at it if they cant help you. No reason to let them push you around if they are not geeting back with you dont mess with them hehe. It has worked in the past with other things ive had to deal with.

reefnoob

HERE IS YOUR PROBLEM!! I just w3ent through this exact same thing....
tiny bubbles from seaclone means the water is not broken yet. You either added a 'water treatment' additive, stress relief additive or the pump has not broken in yet. I took mine 3 weeks to get working right... just wait.. it's a good skimmer and your bubbles will go away.
The bubbles if left in tank for a long time can cause popeye though..
Turn the air intake valve all the way down so there is just water... Then every other day turn it up just a hair to see if any progress is made.. it will get there with time.. give it a chance.
I also placed a cut piece of sterile foam under my intake and it defused most of the bubbles while I waited it out.
The problem is not your skimmer, it's your water.. My skimmer finally started working very well today, I have foam already in teh collection cup with gunk on it..