Please Help! Lots of problems.

butrfly253

Please Help Us. We have had our new 55 up for about 6 months. We purchased an engineer goby from our LFS about 2 months ago. Three weeks ago he died from a bacterial infection we think (he had red lines all over him). The guy at the fish store said to add some Primafix. We did, but he told us the wrong amount. We should have checked, but we didn't . We ended up double dosing our tank. Since then, we have done 2 20% changes and one 10% along with topping off our sump. We always buy our water from the fish store and never had any problems. Since we were worried about our error, we checked our parameters often; except the salinity. I just checked it, and it is VERY high-about 1.038. We have lost most of our corals, lots of snails, 2 anemones and our serpent star. We are unsure if this is from the overdose or the salinity. What is the safest way to combat these problems? How many water changes should be enough to get rid of the overdose?

grumpygils

Originally Posted by Butrfly253
Please Help Us. We have had our new 55 up for about 6 months. We purchased an engineer goby from our LFS about 2 months ago. Three weeks ago he died from a bacterial infection we think (he had red lines all over him). The guy at the fish store said to add some Primafix. We did, but he told us the wrong amount. We should have checked, but we didn't . We ended up double dosing our tank. Since then, we have done 2 20% changes and one 10% along with topping off our sump. We always buy our water from the fish store and never had any problems. Since we were worried about our error, we checked our parameters often; except the salinity. I just checked it, and it is VERY high-about 1.038. We have lost most of our corals, lots of snails, 2 anemones and our serpent star. We are unsure if this is from the overdose or the salinity. What is the safest way to combat these problems? How many water changes should be enough to get rid of the overdose?
I would definetely do 2 more at 20% with lower salinity ~1.2. It will all be a shocker either way.
Good luck but move quickly!

allterr

Not to mention.... (not lecturing or being mean or rude) I
f you have 1 sick fish in a tank with other inhabitants, ALWAYS remove the infected fish from the tank and put him in a seperate QT tank then medicate...better safe than sorry......

butrfly253

It was an engineer goby. He hid under the rocks. By the time he came out, he was already too sick. He died within a half hour.

fishy7

Just a side note:
What other inhabitants do you have?
Def bring the salenity down. Should be in the 1.024-1.026 rage.
Anemones are pretty delicate creatures. They recomend adding after about a year. They seem to do much better in an established system..
Good luck and continue to research the threads. Pretty much all your answers are here.

S

scoobs

salinity 1.038 is way to high.. I have run 1.028 with no adverse side effects but going over 1.030 is really not good.. You have a hydrometer or a refractometer?

butrfly253

We still have a new engineer goby a chromis, a damsel, a clownfish, and a flame angel. The only corals we have left are star polyps, open brain, a few mushrooms, and some xenia. We also have some inverts: hermits, snails, 2 conchs, a few shrimp, a sally lightfoot, and an anemone crab. We have both. They both read the same.