Please help me identify this fish

rudedog40

Thanks for the site. Based on the rules, all you need to obtain wildlife in the ocean is a recreational fishing license. Looks like you can pretty much take anything you want (up to a prescribed daily bag limit) except the following:
Prohibited Species: All harvest is prohibited of the following species:
Live rock, Bahama starfish (Oreaster reticulatis), longspine urchin (Diadema antillarum), Venus sea fan (Gorgonia flabellum), common sea fan (Gorgonia ventalina), any hard or stony coral (Order Scleractinia), or any fire coral (Genus Millepora).
So taking the live rock was wrong, but taking the fish was legal (if you had a valid Florida fishing license).
Also curious as to why you couldn't post the link? I know the board owners don't want links that recommend other online aquatic stores and such, but why not sites that show information or regulations?

groupergenius

Well actually, that fish Schoolmaster is a snapper that has a minimum harvesting size of 12". So 1" is too small to keep.
I have noticed folks getting spanked for posting links before. I wish they would post the fwc link as a sticky of some sort because it seems a subject of alot of misinformation.

R

rattler739

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
Trust me. It's a Schoolmaster-Lutjanus apodus. Look at a pic of them still alive. If you want to know about the rules here. Check myfwc dot com then click saltwater fish regulations then click tropical aquarium. I would link it but it's not allowed here.
That one was for Florida but do you happen to know the one for South Carolina?

rudedog40

Looking on the South Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources web site, they have no list like Florida's. If you look at their Saltwater Fishing guide, it only discusses the limits of Sport Fishes, not Ornamental Aquarium Species. If you're wanting to go out 3 -5 miles off the South Carolina coast, or hit one of their natural/artificial reefs looking for aquarium fish, I'd suggest you contact them and ask what the regulations are.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Zues3026
Really, guess I will ship him back to my brother there and have him release it.
Fillet him, they taste just like mangrove snapper.

mx#28

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
Trust me. It's a Schoolmaster-Lutjanus apodus. Look at a pic of them still alive. If you want to know about the rules here. Check myfwc dot com then click saltwater fish regulations then click tropical aquarium. I would link it but it's not allowed here.

Yes, it is juvenile Lutjanus apodus. No doubts. Adults can reach up to 2 feet.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by MX#28
Yes, it is juvenile Lutjanus apodus. No doubts. Adults can reach up to 2 feet.
And very tasty I must admit.

tomclx

That is a Snapper, here in FLA they are known as "grunts" to local fisher men for the grunting sounf they make when they are caught. They do not grow that big. To answer one of the questions on this post..NO it is not illegal. I have never seen one in a tank before, but they are peacful fish.