Please help me now, leaking tank.

mavmike72

I have a 75 in my basement wall its leaking and i cant find it. Man i don't want to take it down. Any ideas how to find the leak?????????????? Thanks so much.

flower

Originally Posted by mavmike72
http:///forum/post/3262830
I have a 75 in my basement wall its leaking and i cant find it. Man i don't want to take it down. Any ideas how to find the leak?????????????? Thanks so much.
dry everything with a towel...watch where water appears first

mavmike72

I can see that my 2x4 frame is wet on the front corner, but i can see where the leak is. Im not sure if its at the top or the bottom that is leaking.

ibanez

I suggest get to work on preparing for an emergency move. Have a place ready for everything because it can go from bad to worse quickly. Get some rubbermades and some heaters and powerheads and start making up some water. Then as Flower suggested dry everything off. If you can't see it coming from above, or the sides, it is most likely from the bottom. Make sure you don't have any hob filters or skimmers or anything else causing the wet spot.

gill again68

Originally Posted by IbanEz
http:///forum/post/3262835
I suggest get to work on preparing for an emergency move. Have a place ready for everything because it can go from bad to worse quickly. Get some rubbermades and some heaters and powerheads and start making up some water. Then as Flower suggested dry everything off. If you can't see it coming from above, or the sides, it is most likely from the bottom. Make sure you don't have any hob filters or skimmers or anything else causing the wet spot.
++1

mavmike72

Food coloring will not hurt my fish will it? I assume no or you wouldn't have told me. How much do i add??????

mavmike72

Ok just went down and checked it out again. I have glass covers on the top of the tank. They only cover about 3/4 of the top not all the way. The glass top on the top side was dry as a bone, on the tank side it was really wet. Also the plastic trime at the top of the tank had water drops under it also. I have a drilled tank and water level is 1 1/2 from the top of the tank. I no the water level is way lower on this tank than any other tank ive had. So could the tank be sweating or something???????
Ps i have pvc pipe bring water back to the tank. It has a small ripple of water at the top of the tank nothing crazy. So i dont't think this is the problem.

acrylic51

I would try the food color....I can't honestly see it hurting your tank. Is it possible the glass tops you mentioned is collecting the condensation and allowing it to drip down? Try removing the glass tops and wipe everything dry and see if the issue is still there. I do agree, that the only safe thing to do is get ready to move everything, because if it is leaking the only way you will reseal the tank is with it completely down.

cranberry

You'd have to add a lot of food colour to a 75 gallon tank to tinge the water. I don't know if I would want to add that much..... but that's just me.

srfisher17

I hate to say it; but these problems seldom have easy solutions and a small leak can turn major in no time. Most leaks will be somewhere in a seam of the bottom glass panel and I don't believe there is a way to patch them from the outside---lots of outward pressure from all the water inside. (Too bad BILLY MAYS died---I'm sure he had a miracle (not sold in stores) glue that would work.

florida joe

Too bad BILLY MAYS died---I'm sure he had a miracle (not sold in stores) glue that would work.
Ok now that is just FUNNY