please help me save red toothed trigger

ruuduk

i have recently bought a red toothed/niger trigger. i also have a cleaner/blue streak wrasse and did have a midas blenny. The blennie had to go back as the trigger attacked too much.
i ahve had the trigger for 3 weeks now, after 1 week it started to develop a cloudy film over both eyes and scurvy skin, its appetite was suppressed as well.
after rushing to my shop and asking advice i treated the tank with melafix antibacterial remedy. for 2 days i thought he was dying. lay against rocks and the filter, swimming disoriented. In fact twice i went to remove him as i thought he was dead. Then to my amazement 3 days later he looked almost back to normal, clear eyes and skin eating etc. so i did a 20% water change. unfortunatley today 2 dyas further on he is the same, cloudy eyes hinding- lesion on one side????????
i have a 180L tank. its approx 3months old. amonia-0 nitrite-0 nitrate approx 10%
please help me save him

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Do the fish have ich? It certainly sounds like it. Look at the fish pics with ich in the Diseased Fish Thread at the top of this forum and see if you can ID your problem as ich.

ruuduk

thanks for the reply, but unfortunatley he died last night.
i looked at the pictures of the diseased fish with ich and it looked quite similar.
if i assume it was that, i only have one fish left who is apparently completely healthy(cleaner wrasse) do i need to do anything with the tank water before i restock?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No, don't get more fish. You must wait a month. Ich is highly contagious and, if you had it, now it could well have contamonated your tank. It will take 3 weeks to clear.