Please help me with my nitrates!

larry083

I have a 55 gal with live rock running a wet/dry eheim containing macaroni, substrate and chemi pure. Also have a skilter 250 and power head. Lighting is good too. Problem is my nitrates are always high 80 and above. Is there anything I can do beside water changes. I only have 1 tomato clown left, a feather duster, some snails and some crabs. Any fish I put in looks healthy for a few months and then suddenly dies. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Larry, welcome to Saltwaterfish.com! You have posted in the Aquarium which is an off-topic forum, so I am moving your topic over to the Reef Forum.
The wet/dry is likely the largest contributing factor for the high nitrates. Can you provide info about how much live rock, what kind of sand you are using, etc.

nm reef

Originally Posted by Larry083
I have a 55 gal with live rock running a wet/dry eheim containing macaroni, substrate and chemi pure. Also have a skilter 250 and power head. Lighting is good too. Problem is my nitrates are always high 80 and above. Is there anything I can do beside water changes. I only have 1 tomato clown left, a feather duster, some snails and some crabs. Any fish I put in looks healthy for a few months and then suddenly dies. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
wet/dry eheim containing macaroni, substrate .....that bit of info made me curious....could you better explain the use of macaroni?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I paused at that as well....hopefully he means the ceramic pieces used in mechanical filters.

reefreak29

thats what he ment , u might want to get rid of the ehiem ,there wonderful for fresh water but for salt water i would buy a sump and a skimmer

barelycuda

I would agree with the above. I had problems with nitrates & my wet/dry for some time. I built a replaced the wet/dry with a sump I built, did a couple of water changes and my nitrates have been just abouve zero ever since.
Cuda

khaosreign

I have a 75 gal tank with 90lbs of live rock I have substrate that is sand and crushed coral my nitrates are 20 and I just lost an anenome and dont want to loose any thing else I took it out as soon as it started to look fleshy I have a protein skimmer. everything looks good for perameters. I have done water changes the last two days of about 6 gal at a time. I dont want to lose any other animalswhat is a wet/ dry Please help

hagfish

I would remove the wet/dry, ehiem, and skilter and get a high quality protein skimmer. All of the 3 items you mentioned can be nitrate traps. Protien skimmer is about as good as it gets for mechanical filtration.

saltysteve

Originally Posted by KhaosReign
I have a 75 gal tank with 90lbs of live rock I have substrate that is sand and crushed coral my nitrates are 20 and I just lost an anenome and dont want to loose any thing else I took it out as soon as it started to look fleshy I have a protein skimmer. everything looks good for perameters. I have done water changes the last two days of about 6 gal at a time. I dont want to lose any other animalswhat is a wet/ dry Please help

Get rid of the crushed coral go with live sand