Please help on Fuge

carp31

I have a 125 gallon tank. i want to add a fuge to help get rid of hair algae. What do I all need for a 125 gallon? What size pump and overflow box do I need. I have a hang on skimmer on my tank should I put one in the fuge instead?

carp31

I just really need to know what size pump and overflow I need. I have a fuge picked out I am just not sure how much flow I need from the pump. So please give suggestions.
Thanks!

carp31

Originally Posted by fatcats
How many feet from the sump to the tank?
I would recomend the CPR CS100 Overflow Box
The sump will be underneath the tank.

itom37

Is the tank drilled? Are these overflow boxes built in or HOB? Whatever the answer, I think the drain of the overflow will match the rate of return. If it lags, for some reason, you can probably modify the overflow (make the slits bigger). I'd have two returns, one from each side of the tank to maximize flow, each of like 600 gbh.

carp31

Originally Posted by itom37
Is the tank drilled? Are these overflow boxes built in or HOB? Whatever the answer, I think the drain of the overflow will match the rate of return. If it lags, for some reason, you can probably modify the overflow (make the slits bigger). I'd have two returns, one from each side of the tank to maximize flow, each of like 600 gbh.
No drill. They would have to be HOB. Would I be alright with on Overflow? So I would go 600 GBH pump with a 600 GBH overflow box? Sorry just want to do this right before I order what I need.

jpc763

My overflow box is 600gph. I bought a QuiteOne 3000 that has a higher output than that and then installed a ball valve on it to be able to control the flow back up. Remeber that you lose force as you pump back up, depending on the length of your return.
Dual 600, one on each side would probably be good for a 125. I have a singe on my 55g.

carp31

Would I be alright with one higher rated GPH overflow box? I really dont want to run two off my tank. What is the difference between one or two overflow boxes? Faster flow to the sump?

ameno

I would make the fuge with a skimmer compartment and a sump area in it, you could do all that with a tank such as a 55 gal. with baffles. and I would think you would want more flow then just 600 gph. for the fuge alone that would work but if you put your skimmer down there you would probably be looking at around 1000gph more or less total thru the system. so you would need the double overflow box and something like a mag 12 pump. This would be your best set-up, with the skimmer inside the compartment you can control the bubbles in the DT and if it overflows you won't have water everywere. and the sump will give a place for water to backflow in a power outage plus a place to top-off evap.

i would get an overflow box with 2- 1" outlets in it and throw a mag-12 on there and just make you some simple plumbing with pvc.

turningtim

Look at Eshopps over flows. These are U-tube style. CPR's need lift pumps to keep them from collecting air bubbles and can lose siphon. With the proper flow a U-tube will not ever quit.
You will need 2@1" drains. This will allow you to drain 1200GPH max. You also must use 1" plumbing (I would suggest thin-wall pvc or 1.25 spa flex) from the drains to the sump.
So lets say you want about 1000 gph at the returns. This will be under the max drain and still keep a good flow so the OF won't fail. Now you need to figure out the head pressure on the return pump. What's the vert and hort lengths of pipe along with other restrictions including Elbows, T's, Shut-offs, pipe size (diameter) and the like.
You can find a online head calculator and plug in all the parameters of your system and what pump you are going to use and it will give you approx flow at the tank. You can change the pumps in the equation until you find one that has the right flow.
You also must be sure that the sump/fuge are sized correctly so you don't return micro bubbles back to the main tank. To small a sump/fuge and you'll have bubbles!
Don't forget to calculate the backwash from the main tank to the sump in power outage or you will flood the sump!
JMHO
HTH
Tim

carp31

It seems like everyone says something different. I have a HOB skimmer so just strictly a fuge. My local fish store says I want the flow slow for a fuge. He said to go with a rio 1700 and one 600 GHP overflow box and that will be fine. I am going to use a Eshopps reef sump that is rated for 125 to 225 gallons. I was going to use flex hose. Will this set up be alright? Is the local fish store guy right?

ameno

well if your keeping the skimmer on your DT then you would not need as much flow just for the fuge. but it depends on what you plan to keep in the fuge as what kinda flow you need. cheato likes a good flow, that's what I use. and I would shoot for at least a 10X turnover rate for the fuge more would be even better for cheato. you could do more and have a valve on the supply line to adjust the flow as needed.

carp31

Why does a skimmer need more flow in the sump? I think they sell Caulerpa at the fish store that is what I will probably use.

ameno

Just be careful with caulerpa, it can turn sexual and polute your tank. I had some, it filled up the fuge and then one day started turning a light color, and then all of a sudden started to dissapear, and my DT got cloudy, thats when I found out about what it's does, once it turnes sexual it releases all the toxins that are built up in it, since then I got rid of all that I had a went straight cheato.
what I meant by needing less flow in the sump/fuge if you don't have a skimmer compartment down there. if the skimmer is up on the DT then the fuge/sump area will not need the flow that is required to run the skimmer there. so if your skimmer was in the fuge/sump/ skimmer area and the skimmer pump runs 500gph then you would shoot for about 750 gph thru that compartment, rule of thumd 1.5x the skimmer gph. to compensate for blowby. this 750gph would be in addition to the gph that you run thru the fuge.