Please help with coral groth rate.

tjnitro

I know that coral groth rates vary depending on conditions and light. I would just like an estimated growth rate on some coral.
I recently added some live rock and their was a piece of devil's hand growing on it. How fast could I expect that to grow.
i also have the following coral that i was wondering growth rate:
Green star polyp
Candy cane coral
How fast do mushrooms multiply?
My pulsing xenia grows very fast in the tank. In fact i have had to start bringing some to the LFS to get rid of some. I do have fairly good lights and i keep up to date on levels of everything.

rlablan

Candy canes will split pretty quick. I had some that began to split and then always looked like that. The heads got bigger and bigger but they still have never split and this was months ago. Both heads have two mouth each.
I am not sure about mushrooms. I know some people here that will have new ones each month and I service a tank for a woman who has some hair mushrooms that drop babies every week! Her tank is over 10 years old though and the mushrooms are gigantic. I have heard that mushrooms are pretty slow though, like upwards of a couple months, this is my experience.
My GSP are quick growers. They will grow until the touch sand. In my experience, they don't like to extend onto sand, so the more rock they have to cover, the more they will grow. They are very aggressive growers, so they can take over pretty rapidly, evenly paced with the xenia, I would say. They will even over take other corals.
If you are using a regular salt, and not a "reef" salt, switch. The corals love the trace elements and that way you shouldn't have to dose very much, if anything at all. It's cheaper to switch salt, than to buy stuff like calcium and strontonium supplement anyway.

rlablan

That I am not sure about. Mine is still the same size. I would think that it would all be dependent upon how much calcium you have?? That is just a guess... you could PM jackri... He has a great frag tank and knows way more than I do. I have corals but I don't propagate like he does. He has like the dose schedules and the special drip methods and all that... maybe he'll pop up... but I would just PM him and ask nicely.

mr.clownfish

Originally Posted by tjnitro
http:///forum/post/3150745
Thanks for the advice. how fast does the hard part (base) of the candy cane coral grow?
the hard part dosent grow. the heads just multiply. i was told that each head splits into 2 or 3 heads every year.

tjnitro

Ok that does not sound right. If the heads keep splitting eventualy they will run out of room. I am not understanding this. How do people frag this coral than?