Please Help Xenia Problem!!!

squirrel

My xenia looks like it has a cut on the base of it, and it is going to fall off the rock. Where it is cut there is something yellow? Here are some pics...sorry about the quality.
I just tested last night and amon. and trites were at 0, trates were a little high(30), and ph was a little low(8.0) so I added ph buffer, salinity is 1.024. I did have a power head that might have been hitting is more than it liked...whould that cause this???

mudplayerx

Looks like something was nibbling on it and it is beginning to atrophy. What critters do you have in your tank? Did you just get some new live rock that might contain a really big bristle worm?

squirrel

No all rock has been in there for atleast a month or so...I did get a new fish about a week ago, it is a Blue Eyed Anthias. And I have hermits?!?! :notsure:

mudplayerx

Hmm... I don't think that fish would do it. Cleaner hermits won't really bother xenia either.
How old is your tank? How long has the xenia been in there? What sort of lighting do you have? Xenia need intense lighting and established tanks with pristine water.

squirrel

I have 4x65 watt pcs for light, I have had my xenia for about 3 or 4 months and my tank is about 10 months old.

mudplayerx

Did that portion of the xenia sort of "bubble up" before it started looking yellow? Everything sounds fine except your 30 nitrates. Try doing a 20% water change to get those down. Also stop adding buffer. I've used that stuff in the past and it really is bad for the tank long term. With regular water changes and occasional dosing of kalkwasser, you shouldn't have to dose buffer. Sorry for trying to lecture though.
My guess is something nibbled on your xenia. Try looking at your tank at night with a red-lensed flashlight. If you don't have a red lens, you can color it with a marker lol. See if you notice anything munching on your xenia.
ps- I'd appreciate someone else giving some advice, I'm out of ideas.

squirrel

So I should use kalkwasser instead of the buffer, sounds like I have a trip to the lfs in the near future...lol. I wouldn't call it a lecture if you didn't tell me I wouldn't know b/c my lfs sold it to me so they wouldn't tell me any different.
I will try looking in the tank with the red light...
til tomorrow I don't know...I hope it will last over night it looks pretty bad :-(
Thank you for your help!!!!

dragonboy

I had the problem before with my xenia it turn out it was some of my pods that was nibbling on it. It was mostly the big ones they get pretty aggressive once they get bigger.

squirrel

Well it looked the same this morning...no better or worse. Can it come back from this or is it going to die?
Those pods better leave it alone or I am going to sik my scooter blenny on them

Thanks for all the help guys!

mudplayerx

I had WAY too many amphipods at once point. They were actually eating my yellow polyps and biting up my sea cucumber at night. I bought a psychedelic mandarin and that took care of that problem lol.