Please help

holloway

I'm afraid it's too late to save my Yellow Porite but what should I do. Here is a photo takin 12-16-03. You can see it's turning brown on the tips. I have it under 400watt MH 20K bulbs. App. 14" from bulb. I also have a Rio 2100 powerhead with a 3QI SCWD wave maker blasting it.
I was under the impression it needed strong light and a strong current.
SG is 1.023
PH 8.2
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Amonia .25
Calcium 475
Temp 79'
Look at the next post...................
:sleepy:

holloway

Here it is today.:notsure: Is it too late? The only thing I can think of is moving it lower. Or should I remove it all together because it's damaging the water quality? :help:
Is it beyond dead?

stapler

I cant tell you why its looking like that, but your amonia could be the reason for its dwindle.
Hopefully someone can give you some better advice.

daisy

Your ammonia is definitely not good. It needs to be at zero. In addition, the reading you have for your ammonia may not take into account your temperature and your pH. It's the amount of toxic ammonia that is important, not the total ammonia. Does your test kit have a formula for how to figure out the level of toxic ammonia?
I can't help with the coral, though.
Good luck!

holloway

Waterfaller... yes that snail does have algae on it. Almost all my astera snails have algae on it.
Daisy ... I use two test kits for ammonia.
1. Aquarium Pharmacueticals sp. (Doc Wellfish) which scored .25
2. Salifert which scored <0.5 (Pain in the butt to conduct).
I had it tested 2 times at the LFS and both told me my water was "fine". I will have it tested again today. Can you recommend a better testing kit. How can I lower the ammonia? I do 10% water changes biweekly.
Is it possible the Dead/Dying Yellow Porites is the reason I'm getting the ammonia reading? Thanks.