Please help....

manycolors

my clownfish has an open soar on the right side of his body, it started out looking like agetated skin about 2 weeks ago and now it looks like a gash, any ideas?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What other fish are in the tank with him? I believe its caused by aggression. Can you separate him into a quarantine tank?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Have you noticed the other clown nipping at her? Or even the shrimp?

manycolors

No, she pretty much dominates the other clown, but she does sleep in my torch coral and burries herself in between the skeloton of it, maybe thats it, i took it out and i'll see if it gets better, but if anyone has any other ideas let me know....

sepulatian

It is sore and raw. The best thing that you can do right now is see if she will heal herself. What do you feed them? Offer high quality frozen formula foods or make your own. Beth has an excellent recipe in her Common Treatments FAQ. Add vitamins to the food. Dose with a rotation of Vitachem and Zoecon. Flakes, pellets, mysis, and brine are not good enough. If it gets worse then she will need to be treated with Maracyn 2 for SW fish in a cycled quarantine tank. If you do have to treat her in another tank then treat the male too. If you want them to pair up then don't separate them.
I bought a pair of "imperfect" maroon clowns. They had huge chunks missing from their fins. Their fins were full in two weeks time. I fed them a high quality diet dosed with vitamins mentioned.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by ManyColors
http:///forum/post/2765889
No, she pretty much dominates the other clown, but she does sleep in my torch coral and burries herself in between the skeloton of it, maybe thats it, i took it out and i'll see if it gets better, but if anyone has any other ideas let me know....
That could be a problem. Torches are fairly aggressive corals. Can you put a dividing screen in the tank to keep her away from corals. This will help you determine if that is the problem. These are sometimes available at LFSs.

manycolors

I have moved the torch to a location around the back bottom of the tank where she does not touch it, it has been about 24hours now since i have moved it, i'll give it a couple days and see if there is improvement, if there is then i will move it back and if the clown hosts it again i might have a torch for sale