Please Help!!!!!

vontill

Ok I bought a tank that had I 1 inch bulkhead drilled in the back. I ran PVC from that to my sump and for the life oh me I can not get an even tank level! I tried resricting the flow in tried turning the pump up and down nothing, what am I doing wrong?

sickboy

What do you mean an even tank level? Like one side is higher than the other? Is there a piece of pvc going up on the inside?

vontill

Originally Posted by sickboy
http:///forum/post/2982155
What do you mean an even tank level? Like one side is higher than the other? Is there a piece of pvc going up on the inside?
No, Ok so bye even tank level I mean I can not get the same amount of water coming in as going out. So no matter what I do my sump takes on to much water or my tank takes on to much water. It is a 1 inch bulkhead in the back of the tank and I ran pvc into my sump and have my pump with tubing returning to the tank

sickboy

Oh, gotcha

1" pvc= approx. 600 GPH
What kind of pump do you have? Did you try to restrict the pump or the overflow?
So in scenario A, your pump isn't strong enough. In scenario B your pump is too strong. And you can't find a middle ground?

vontill

http:///forum/post/2982189
Oh, gotcha

1" pvc= approx. 600 GPH
What kind of pump do you have? Did you try to restrict the pump or the overflow?
So in scenario A, your pump isn't strong enough. In scenario B your pump is too strong. And you can't find a middle ground?

first I ran overflow and return full on, did not work I tried restricting the bulkhead and turning down the pump and I just cant get it. I am about to go crazy

steve102571

try venting the bulkhead. A temp air lock may cause a restriction in the flow and when the air lock is evacuated flow dramatically increases, causing fluctution in the water level of the sump.

vontill

Originally Posted by Steve102571
http:///forum/post/2982220
try venting the bulkhead. A temp air lock may cause a restriction in the flow and when the air lock is evacuated flow dramatically increases, causing fluctution in the water level of the sump.
What?

sickboy

Don't restrict the overflow, restrict the pump.
If you have a ball valve on the pvc, leave it open, then mess with the pump.
what happened when you ran them both full on?

vontill

http:///forum/post/2982257
Don't restrict the overflow, restrict the pump.
If you have a ball valve on the pvc, leave it open, then mess with the pump.
what happened when you ran them both full on?
Both full on pump could not keep up sump would overflow.

sickboy

Oh....then your pump is not rated high enough. Did you calculate in head loss when you bought the pump?
There is not enough room in your sump to hold excess water until the tank drains below the overflow?
Do you have a pic?
Try restricting the overflow oh so slightly....sorry I can't be more help.

locoyo386

adjust your red valve without doing anything to the return pump. Better yet build an overflow around your 1" bulkhead.

E

eric b 125

you have an overflow box, right? don't restrict the flow going from your overflow to your sump. your overflow box ( 1" bulkhead ) will determine the max amount of flow your tank can handle. that should be around 600 gph without any elbows. all you have to do is adjust the return flow so that it is at, or slightly less than, your drain. you may want to take some water out of your sump so that: 1) if your drain clogs, there isnt enough water for the return pump to overflow your DT or 2) if your return pump should lose power, the return line wont create a siphon and flood your sump

turningtim

+1 Eric! Do you have a stand pipe in the overflow? It kinda sound like there isn't any air allowed in the drain. Can you take a pic of the OF and the back of the tank?

locoyo386

From post #11
"Both full on pump could not
keep up sump would overflow."
From this statement I conclude that he does not
have an overflow box around the 1" bulkhead. Reason is that the water coming into the sump is more than the water returning to the display tank. If he had an overflow box, the volume of water that's being displaced by the volume of water returning would be equal. Thus the sump would not overflow. My guess is that the 1" bulkhead is some where low in the back wall of the tank. Thus the water volume above the bottom of the 1" bulkhead is greater than what the pump can return. Thus he has three options;
1.) ristric the water coming into the sump
2.) restric the total volume of the display tank
3.) or build and overflow box around the 1" bulkhead. (I would prefer to do this choice)

naclh2o nut

I don't have a drilled tank. So I may be off here but, Could you put a 90 on the inside of the tank. Bring the level up to where you want it and then turn it back with another 90.

locoyo386

hi there,
Originally Posted by Eric B 125
http:///forum/post/2983091
you have an overflow box, right?(your assumption is that he has one, correct?) don't restrict the flow going from your overflow to your sump.(if there is an overflow box, i would agree) your overflow box ( 1" bulkhead )(the 1" bulkhead is not the same thing as an overflow box, or is it?) will determine the max amount of flow your tank can handle.(I would agree if you are talking about a 1" bulkhead inside an overflow box) that should be around 600 gph without any elbows. all you have to do is adjust the return flow so that it is at, or slightly less than, your drain.(I wold agree if there is an overflow box) you may want to take some water out of your sump so that: 1) if your drain clogs, there isnt enough water for the return pump to overflow your DT or 2) if your return pump should lose power, the return line wont create a siphon and flood your sump(if there is an overflow box, how is this possible?)