Please help

tony detroit

Babe are you running lids on your tank?
Are you running a skimmer?
You may not have enough gas exchange in your tank
I've used that epoxy a ton of times in my tank and had no problems. Did you have some incense or something in the air? Did you have any air freshner/spray deodorant or anything that could possibly have gotten in the water?

lovethesea

just a thought........do you use a spray of any sort to clean the outside of your glass? We did that too in the beginning, then realized how much mist gets into the air.

you guys think i am spearfish?? i wasn't trying to sound like an arse, just trying to explain what carbon was. i am wablondie98664's husband, not spearfish

lovethesea

I believe all of his postings are gone, so it would appear that Elvis has left the building. :D
Things will looks out of wack if his postings are gone.

leopard_babe

I understand that S!@$ happens. I do use windex to clean my glass. I won't do that anymore. I never thought that would get into the tank.
Tony: i have no idea what is going on. I probably got something in the tank, and didn't realize it. I am runnng a skimmer. I don't know what you mean by lids. i haven't tested my water since last night. i was a little frustrated looking at my empty tank. So you don't think it was the epoxy? That makes me feel a little better. How can I tell if there is enough gas exchange? I am going to do a 25% water change tomorrow, VERY carefully. I will also check my levels, and let you guys know what is going on. thanks for all the help. If i do the chagne and my water is ok for about a week, then can I try another damsel?? i am a little afraid that i will hurt whatever i put in the tank. My neighbor told me that this was an expensive hobby, and fish do die. i just feel bad that it was my fault.
Oh, should I still do the carbon thing???
Night all. thanks for the help.
Sarah

lovethesea

We now just spray the paper towel with windex and then clean glass. My husband is a fanatic about the glass, it can't be too shiny. The day I noticed it, he sprayed the glass and I was next to him. I saw all the little particles of mist fly up . End of that.
Don't let that idiot mess with you. Things happen to all of us.
good luck with your water change
:)

leopard_babe

Yhanks lovethesea. You have been very helpful and encouraging. I am glad to see that other people make mistakes. It is not just me.

calvindo

leopard, i dont think anyone can give you a solid answer on what happened. it's one of those ???? things, that happens... hang in there.

leopard_babe

I know. I am ok. Last night I was real upset. That is ok. I have learned. Now I am just going to be super careful about cleaning, and washing my hands. Even though I am a nurse, and I get paid to keep my hands clean. I am just glad that i didn't have more fish. the reason that I started this hobby was not to sacrifice the life on my fish. Oh well, I will do better next time. the people on this board have all been very helpful.
Would the vote be...
-Big water change
-Carbon in the sump
-Wait and see what happens?
thanks again guys

tony detroit

Originally posted by Leopard_babe
know what you mean by lids.

Lids on the tank... you said the fish were motionless and gasping. If you are running lids on the tank, you may have low O2. You may have a bad test kit as well....possibly your test kits are outdated. Check the dates on them. They're usually on the bottom or on the sides.

leopard_babe

I am using RO water from the store. I tested it before I used it. So I am not using a dechlorinator. I do have a galss lid on my tank. Should I do a water change? SHould I use carbon? Thanks tony.
I just checked my test kit, and it is not expired.

lovethesea

Carole......the glass top thing has me concerned....our upcoming new tank will have one (parital becasue I am removing the back part of it). I only want enough to let the light sit on it. Hex tank. When you have a top, you have to increase your flow?
Another powerhead will do it? OR since we won't have entire top covered we should be OK? just curious.
thanks.

dillybobs

I have had my tank set yup for almost 2 months. i did a water change earlier my third one maybe. It appears my ammonia spiked.
It apears your doing must everything right you just ran into some bad luck.
After i read through this I would say you may have gotten some glass cleaner in the tank. That would be your ammonia spike!
Just a few thoughts I have on this topic.
I have seen the blue damsels turn white or gray do to 2 things, fear or aggresion from another fish, and rabid water temp change. I do not think from what you have discriped it was ick or velvet. ( yes ick does look the same as fresh water fish). If you should encounter ick a skunk cleaner shrimp will usally clean that up. An ultra vilot light would help too.
I have always used Instant ocean with no proplem. and your method of mixing would appear to be fine.
Add the carbon to your filtering system.
As for your glass lid thats ok, as long as it has a way of breathing (letting a good flow of air to get thru) you dont want it air tight.
After all the water changes it sounds like you have done. ( not actully knowing how much you have changed out) you may have lost the cycle.
Blue damels are one of the best fish to start up a tank with (IMO).
although for some reason I have never had any luck with clown fish. (I'll inquire on that later).
Stop, take a deep breath, check your system over again, and start over. I think you just made a error with the glass cleaner.
Cheer up, soon you'll be sneaking peeks in the middle of the night with a flash light, to see all the cool stuff that goes on in a salt water tank.
DILLYBOBS

lesleybird

Hey, I doubt that you have to recycle the tank much if at all. Most of the bacteria grows on the rocks and sand, not in the water. Even if you do major water changes you will not get rid of much of the good bacteria on the substrates. I doubt that what killed the fish harmed the bacteria. If you took microbiology for your nursing like I did you know how difficult bacteria is to kill!
Good luck, Lesley

dukenay

First off im very sorry for your lost i am new to this too we started at the same time.
i have 2 thought first i think adding a di unit to your ro might help but i was reading in my book and it said when you mix up you saltwater mix that byou need a power head and heater and air if i read it correctly you did not have air. the book says with a ro/di unit it take out all the air so when you do a water change your fish might be short of air. this might not be the cause but it problely did not help.
i might be out to lunch so do not kill me im a rookie too.
again im sorry to hear of your lost
Dukenay

leopard_babe

hmm.. I never knew the air in the tank thing. I also did not know that about ro/di. i was on my way to the LFS to buy 2 powerheads when my catastrophy happened. So I have not been running any powerheads. I thought that they were one of those things that you didn't need right a
ay, but would be nice to have in the future. i'll do the carbon thing. I will also get some powerheads. What do you guys recommend, and how many? thanks for all of the help. i wouldn't have been able t figure this out without all of your help. thanks again!!!
Leopard

D

daniel411

Maxi-jets are considered a high quality power head. Skip the sweeping powerheads and rio's.
Not sure if theres any hard rules, I'd get atleast 3 power heads for your tank though. You want enough to prevent any real stagnant areas (dead spots) in your aquarium. I'd also place one behind your live rock to blow food out that may get stuck back there, keeps the area clean.
Someone on this boards also mentioned that in most cases the Maxijet 900's are better than the next larger ones, the 1200.