Please Help!

blender

I seem to have a healthy tank going. My only concern is that there is never any green algea growing. I have plenty of red/brown but never green. The tank has been going for about nine months. I keep the lights on for about 11 hours a day. Will I ever get green algea? Is red/brown algea bad?
Thanks

barry

Dear blender,
This is a very common challenge! First of all, if you use / have used medications in this aquarium, they may very well inhibit the growth of green algae. Most show tanks (in stores, etc.) which have a nice blanket of green algae are never medicated. The fishkeeper generally takes a sick fish out to be medicated in a "sick tank". Also, there are a variety of "daylight" aquarium bulbs which may help. In final, perhaps if you are using tap water in your area, it is not suitable for green algae growth. You may have to us reverse osmosis water from a machine and buffer it up for water changes. I hope these ideas help!
Barry
Originally posted by blender:
I seem to have a healthy tank going. My only concern is that there is never any green algea growing. I have plenty of red/brown but never green. The tank has been going for about nine months. I keep the lights on for about 11 hours a day. Will I ever get green algea? Is red/brown algea bad?
Thanks

blender

Thanks for the tips. I used copper about 6 months ago but i assumed that would all be gone with the many water changes. I have always used RO water.

mr . salty

EEEK, did you say copper!!!! I thought you should never use COPPER in a marine tank. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe your lucky. STEVE

blender

I used copper to get rid of some ick. You can use it if you don't have any inverts. At the time I didn't so it was ok. I also read on another site that overfeeding can cause red/brown algea. I really don't think that is what is happening here though. Any other thoughs?
Thanks

barry

Hello again blender,
Remember, copper is absorbed by all of your coral skeletons and crushed coral or gravel. So water changes will not remove all of the copper for a long period of time. The best way to find out if the level is low or 0 is with a copper test kit. If you use copper in the future, I think "Saltwater Coppersafe" is the best brand.

blender

I have two shrimps, two hermit crabs, and four turbo snails. If the copper was bad wouldn't those things not be able to live or is green algea more sensative? Is red/brown algea bad? What do I need to do to get some green algea?
Thanks

The copper would hurt your snails and crabs because they have an exoskeleton (Spell check!) which keeps the copper, or other meds from going into their bodies. Its just the anemones that can't handle the meds.
~~Megan

jimm

In my experience, the brown and black algae grows is lower water quality and worse light quality.
For example, my two 15 gallon QTs have different lights, one has a coralife 50/50 bulb and one has a Aqua Glo (cheap freshwater bulb). The tank with the 50/50 grows green algae and the other grow black, red and brown algae.
Because algae need carbon dioxide to grow, I have found that ozone helps to minimize algae growth, and especially the brown and red variety. As an additional benefit, ozone helps control parasites and reduces the need for adding copper to your tank.
[This message has been edited by Jimm (edited 06-22-2000).]

jimm

The easiest way to use ozone is through your protien skimmer.
You buy an ozonizer unit and as the air gets sucked (with a venturi) or Pushed (with a air pump)through the unit it produces ozone and goes through the skimmer and your water.
I have had great luck with the Sanders Ozonizer, but there are many other manufacturers out there.

mainejo1

First of all, never, never, use copper with anything other than fish. This means live rock, crabs, shrimp, anenomes, hard and soft coral. Copper is only safe in a true fish only tank. I have had great luck treating ich with Melafix (a natural tee tree oil) in the water, and feeding food soaked in garlic. As far as algae, your water quality needs to be perfect. You may try to "seed" your tank by getting a small amount of algae from your lfs or a friend and putting it in your tank. If your water conditions are good, the algae will take off from what you put in your tank, especially if you have it in an area with a power jet nearby.