Please helpmy favorite fish Has ich (hippo tang)

PLease help me this is my favorite fish. He has ich pretty bad. I have set up a 10 gallon tank with just water and a fluval and heater and am pulling him out as soon as i catch him. Please help what should i do? I have ich meds and i have a heater. What should i keep the temp out for him cause of the ich. And it is ok to use ich meds as long as he is not in the tank with the inverts and stuff right? Thanks for your help.... Ill take a picture when he is in his quarantine tank.

Also what should i run in the fluval? just media or should i use carbon ,nitrate sponge..... ? please help me out here and thanks so much

flower

Originally Posted by Younngballa88
http:///forum/post/3150912
Also what should i run in the fluval? just media or should i use carbon ,nitrate sponge..... ? please help me out here and thanks so much

DO NOT RUN CARBON...it will mess with the meds and they won't work. You need a sponge or something from the DT or water from there.....Folks here say hypo is the best cure...do a search and get the info before
you do anything...also copper I think, not sure
is good for ich..

sepulatian

Before you pull a hippo out of the display and throw him into a ten gallon, and start adding chemicals, give us more information. How big is this fish? Is the ten cycled? What else is in your display? Adding an active tang into a ten gallon, uncycled, tank is very risky. The stress and tank conditions alone are likely to kill him before ich would. Please give us all of the background information that you can so that we can figure out your best possible option here.

mell

Yeah, I just lost my hippo tang yesterday to the ick. I was stupid and didn't quarantine her when I got her, or any of my other fish. When I noticed she had ick, I immediately rushed out and got a 15 gallon quarantine tank to put all of my fish in. I took one of my filters off of my DT and used water out of it also, but the next morning she was a goner. I was pretty upset. My 2 year old niece just adored her, and we even named her Dorie. She's gonna be pretty upset. I'd like to get another one when the ick is all cleared up, but I've heard they're prone to this. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet. But on a good note...all of the other fish are doing great in the quarantine tank!!! I'll quarantine everything from now on...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, your other fish are likely to now come down with ich as well. How many fish do you have?
Quarantine new fish is the only way to avoid this kind of problem recurring over and over.

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/3151207
Before you pull a hippo out of the display and throw him into a ten gallon, and start adding chemicals, give us more information. How big is this fish? Is the ten cycled? What else is in your display? Adding an active tang into a ten gallon, uncycled, tank is very risky. The stress and tank conditions alone are likely to kill him before ich would. Please give us all of the background information that you can so that we can figure out your best possible option here.
Well he is about 1 1/2 long I used water from other tank and media in fluval from other tank as well so all shoulod be ok there. My display is a 150 with about 8 fish in it. niger trigger, a puffer of some sort, two percula clowns, 1 host anenome,yellow tang, blue damsel,some kind of wrassie and a few inverts... I have already taken him out of the tank....

Tang looking very good again in the hospital tank. Been on meds for 3 or 4 days now. How long should i continue to treat and how long should i keep him in the hospital tank???? Tanks

florida joe

IMO this rushing to put a fish in a tank and medicate without knowing if the tank can handle the bio load it is compounding the problem. Ammonia is much more deadly then ick

Well i wanted to say thanks for the one person that actually answer my question. As for those that just reply with criticism thanks for reminding me why i DONT use this site anymore. This form is for help not to be yelled at or made out to feel like an ass just cuase im trying to help my fish..... So thanks

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Younngballa88
http:///forum/post/3153641
Well i wanted to say thanks for the one person that actually answer my question. As for those that just reply with criticism thanks for reminding me why i DONT use this site anymore. This form is for help not to be yelled at or made out to feel like an ass just cuase im trying to help my fish..... So thanks
I think that you may have misunderstood the intentions of all of us that have replied. We, myself included, are only trying to help you. We have seen countless stories of fish death because of how people try to treat the fish. Please tell us what medication you are using. As Beth mentioned, if he has ich then chances are that all of your fish do, whether you can see it right now or not. Unfortunately, a ten gallon tank cannot support all of your fish for treatment. As for the hippo, how is he responding to the treatment? Is he still eating and acting normally?

The hippo is eating fine and he looks 100% better. None of my other fish show any sings of any issues. They all look great. The hippo is still in his hospital tank and i have been watching the levels to make sure he wont die due to amonia ect ect. I do watch changes often in the tank and am using a more then overkill fluval for the tank. Hes not going to die from anything. I had to pull him rather then let all my other fish get ick too. I made a mistake but we are all human NOT? i am treating him with a ick medicine that i got at my locale fish store that works for marine and tropical fish so they say. From the looks on my fish it is working great. I just want to know HOW long do you think i should treat and how long do i wait to re-enter him into the tank? I was thinking three weeks.. Does this sound about right?

deejeff442

most reefers here will agree that meds dont kill the ich.they just help in blocking the ich from multiplying .but the problem is the meds wont kill off all the ich.the tang probably looks better because the ich has been on the tang for over 5-7 days now and the ich has dropped off the tang to multiply.
since the qt has no ich in it the fish will look good for maybe a week untill the ich multiplys and then goes into the water column.one ich will multiply more than 100 times.what you need to do is start to hypo the tank before the ich multiplies.hypo will keep the ich from breeding.
read how to hypo in the disease section.
if you wait the ich will come back 100 times worse.
also if the tang was in the dt there is sure to be ich in there also .the fish in the dt might look good for now because there is only a little amount of the ich for now.once the ich breeds in the dt you will start to see it.even if you get the hippo in the qt cured and free of ich.when he is put back to the dt and there is even a few ichs in there a hippo being a ich magnet he will pick it up again.the fish in the dt need to be treated also.the dt needs to be fishless for 5-6 weeks to kill off the ich.
as beth says no fish no ich.ich inverts dont get ich.
good luck

deejeff442

right ,ich needs a host to survive.ich cannot use inverts as a host.
no host =no ich.
i have my 225 dt empty now and my fish are in hypo qt.
i got ich from a couple corals i added.
really ich can die off in a fishless tank in 4-5 weeks but some say 6.
i usually go 5 weeks and havnt had a return.
5 weeks is about what it takes to hypo the fish .a few days to bring the salt down to 1.008-1.009 4 weeks at that salinity after no more signs of the ich. then a week to bring the salt back up and 4-5 days to monator the fish for a possible return of the ich.
its a pain i know but thats what is needed.
i always qt new fish but this time it came in on a coral.so i am now going to qt everything in my 55 from now on.

shainline

I dont know much about ich but I did the same thing got a tiny blue hippo put her in my 55 gal and she got beat up by a bi-color blenny, got a 29gal bio set up and had a hell of a time catching her!! Used melofix ( i think thats the name) to help her get over her scratches and what not. And also bumped the temp up to 81-82. I have heard that bumping the temp can speed up the ich problem.. I mean make it cycle faster! And I had the same problem with all the criticism! if the meds dont work u can try the hypo method... but I started to try that on my hippo cuz I thought she might have had ich (turns out im crazy) and she didnt tolerate it very well. Hope I helped a bit!