PLEASE I need help FAST!

shelley

I have had a condi anemone for about a year now with no troubles. My water params have been in check and I actually have someone who maintains my tank for me. Today I placed some new corals in my tank and think my anemone may be dying and want to remove it tonight if so.
I'm posting a pic. I was having my son's girlfriend feed the anemone silversides. I keep them in the freezer, so I'm not sure if she was thawing them or not and was giving him 1-2 at a time once a week. He ate the whole thing and never spit anything back out.
Over the past couple of weeks, I noticed him droping tenacles and they turn green. Now parts of his tenacles look like they've been crimped by a rubberband and his tenacles that are attached are turning green. PLEASE if anyone knows about this, let me know asap. I'm seriously considering removing him as I don't need a toxic tank. For some reason, I can't get the pics any bigger.
Thanks!

joojoo

Can you post your exact water parameters? Sometimes when people say they are fine, they haven't tested in a while and just assume. Also what kind of lighting do you have over the tank?

reefforbrains

Usually rough current can twist them up and make them drop on occassion.
If color is good and it is inflating and deflating normally then I wouldnt worry too much about a few lost tenticles.

shelley

Jojo, I honestly can't tell you what the params are. The people who maintain my tank came the day before yesterday and checked it. I know my nitrates were 5 and that is the thing I was most concerned about. I have had this anemone for more than a year with no problems. Reefforbrains, the coloring of some of the tenacles is what's concerning me. They are green and look a lot of them are crimped and it appears they are falling off in the area they are crimped. Does this help?

reefforbrains

No not really, they all are very bright green when they are deflated. Kind of a silvery/blue/green colored.
Your pic shows some pretty direct flow but Condi can take a beating and its perfectly normal for them to look dreadful when deflated only to spring back to looking great in a matter of minutes.
How many tenticles are we talking about? onesy twosy? or dropping them all over?

shelley

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
No not really, they all are very bright green when they are deflated. Kind of a silvery/blue/green colored.
Your pic shows some pretty direct flow but Condi can take a beating and its perfectly normal for them to look dreadful when deflated only to spring back to looking great in a matter of minutes.
How many tenticles are we talking about? onesy twosy? or dropping them all over?
He's probably droping at least a part of one daily. This morning he is not as green, but the crimps on his tenacles are still there. I want to remove him as I think something is wrong, but don't have a quartine tank and I don't want to flush him down the commode as that seems so cruel, but I don't want my corals/other fish to die, either. Do you think perhaps the frozen silversides could have something to do with this? Thanks!

reefpro

Originally Posted by Shelley
He's probably droping at least a part of one daily. This morning he is not as green, but the crimps on his tenacles are still there. I want to remove him as I think something is wrong, but don't have a quartine tank and I don't want to flush him down the commode as that seems so cruel, but I don't want my corals/other fish to die, either. Do you think perhaps the frozen silversides could have something to do with this? Thanks!
I've had experience with this and I think you need to take a breather..
I had a Condi do the same thing a few years ago and he looked dreadful for nearly an entire week. I personally refuse to just give up on my livestock and I kept feeding him every day.
A week later he was in full "bloom" if you will and was looking amazing. Sure enough he lived for another 2 years before I sold my tank. The current owner still sends me pictures every now and then and that condi is still alive.
They are pretty tough guys so dont give up!

shelley

I think I'm going to wait it out after reading your post, but do plan on selling him back to the LFS as he is taking up too much space and I cannot place corals around him. He looks fine again this afternoon. Wondering if the Sally Lightfoot (I got rid of him 3 days ago) could have been chomping on him????

chinpokomon

If this happened at the same time you added the new coral that could be part of the problem. Some corals will go to war with invisible sweeper tentacles that are up to 20” long when they chemically detect other animals in their vicinity. Other corals can emit chemicals that are noxious to their neighbors but harmless to other animals in the tank. This doesn’t always happen but it is something to keep in mind.

shelley

I went ahead and traded him in simply because he was basically consuming about half of a Figi rock I wanted to put corals on and be safe! I love anemones, but had one die several years ago and I barely got him out in time. It seems I was waking up every night just to make sure he was still alive!