Please ID this algae

hot883

OR to much nutrients in the water. Sometimes caused by overfeeding, feeding brine, or not enough flow as stated above.
Try that and if it doesn't help, "chemi-clean" makes a powder that will take care of it and IS REEF SAFE. But chemicals of course are the last resort.

rslinger

And if you use chemi-clean follow the directions. Turn your protein skimmer off before you add it or you will have nasty air bubble problem for a couple days after treatment. I know i tried the chemical three times and the slime just came back. two new power heads and have not seen it since. and after the 48 hours do a big water change, this stuff will really mess your skimming up.

jmcnaz

Originally Posted by Rslinger
And if you use chemi-clean follow the directions. Turn your protein skimmer off before you add it or you will have nasty air bubble problem for a couple days after treatment. I know i tried the chemical three times and the slime just came back. two new power heads and have not seen it since. and after the 48 hours do a big water change, this stuff will really mess your skimming up.
Water changes, water changes, water changes. try 10% weekly, that should help.
Good Luck

ppm411

Thanks for all of the responses. I do feed brine almost exclusively but only a little bit every other day. The only thing I can think of that changed right before this bloom occured is that I took my power head out to clean it. When I put it back in, I must have changed it's position. I have since moved it again so it's blowing over the sand a bit more directly. I guess it's time to roll up my sleaves and clean it out with my net. THX AGAIN