please ID!

reefchick15

Well I am struggling with cyanobacteria and was wondering if this was caused by it also. My sand has become darkly colored in some parts, and I hope it’s the same thing and I don’t have to be bothered with fixing another problem
. If it is another thing would you let me know the name of it so I can study up on how to get rid of it also

here are some pics:

reefchick15

that is the top of the sand...you can kinda see the line where it goes into the tank and the rock starts. or do you mean a pic looking down into the tank showing the sand :notsure: ? if that is what you mean then i should let you know that the yucky dark colored stuff is pretty much only visible from the sides where you can see the layers and it is pretty much black-not the same color as cyano :(. thanks for checking it out.

reefchick15

It's a different thing than what's on the top layer...i know the top layer is cyano...but this looks a lot different. sorry for the confusion.

renogaw

its an algae. most likely from excess room or natural light (did youput it near a door or window?) i have red, green, brown algaes on mine, and i see it on tons of tank pics. if you want to rid yourself of it, put masking tape over it for a couple days.