please id

trippkid

I tried to ID it, my book has a similar pic, but it is listed as unidentified puffer. It also resembles some type of toadfish ???? Sorry.
Matt

greenwolf52

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
Wow! I have never seen anything like that! Could it be a brackish puffer?

hmmm...possibly. i think it, at some point, lived in our intercoastal waterway which could definitely involve some brackish conditions, but i would think it would be more salty than fresh.
that's a good thought though. thanks for the input

greenwolf52

Originally Posted by trippkid
I tried to ID it, my book has a similar pic, but it is listed as unidentified puffer. It also resembles some type of toadfish ???? Sorry.
Matt
thinking it is definitely a puffer. i actually have a 8" toadfish in my 100g with the puffer. funny you mentioned that. thanks for looking it up though, let me know if you can find anything else.

kirkaz

I personally think it looks like the puffer that is eaten as a delicacy (sp?) in Japan, can't remember the name though.
Don't eat him.

leftyblite

I saw one exactly like this yesterday at the LFS I went to. They had it in freshwater and it was identified as a puffer. It was about 8 inches long.

S

surfinusa

It would be a congo puffer aka tetradon miurus and what I've heard about it is that it buries in sand with its eyes poking out waiting for pray. Also it usually kills other fish.

kirkaz

You might want to email the pic to BobFenner@WetWebMedia.com if you want a definate answer....His head looks too rounded to be a congo, I have seen those at a lfs, and they are super aggressive freshwater puffers. Here is a congo picture, though they do have different color variations

S

surfinusa

To me why I thought it was a congo puffer is the way his eyes are set up high on its head.

texasmetal

Does look very much like a "Freshwater" puffer. Definitely not a Green Spot though. They head is WAY too big, and long, and kinda flat.
I second emailing Bob Fenner.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by kirkaz
I personally think it looks like the puffer that is eaten as a delicacy (sp?) in Japan, can't remember the name though.
Don't eat him.
Fugu; very poisonous organs. Japanese Chefs need to be licensed to prepare it. I'll stick to catfish.