Please Identify

angelcam

I bought some LR from the LFS and I have some cool hitch-hikers on them, not sure what they are. They have a long thin mushroom-like stem that comes out of a hole in the rock. The top of them has frilly thin fingers. They are a brownish red color. They are not feather dusters because I have those too! I have seen them slowly retract back into their hole in the rock. Any ideas?
Thanks!:joy:

flatzboy

Its a nuisance anenome that can sting corals and stuff and looks like a crap. I would get a couple of pepperment shrimp like 5 or so if you have a lot. Before that though try injecting them with extremely hot water if that doesn't work try the peppermint shrimp.
HTH

angelcam

And here I though I got free anemone, LOL. Thanks for the advice, I did some research and found that injecting it with lemon juice is effective, or getting a nudibranch. Has anyone been successful with shrimp, hot water, lemon juice etc....?

T

tuningvis

just killed mine today with boiling water.....
bye bye bad guy

T

tuningvis

took a small bottle with ich cure in it... washed it out .. boiled water ..... filled the small bottle .... shot the water into the mouth of the anenome... and watched him shrivial away.... and burn my hand in the process
:p

aidos

i did this three days ago
1. take one fresh lemon (it needs to be fresh, i guess)
2. squeeze it
3. fill up syringe, with out needle
4. (this is the hardest part) u gotta inject the juice into the atipsia so u gotta get the it into its mouth, the bigger they are the easier.
5. your done.
i had to take out two of the little buggers, got rid of one(the biggest) but the smaller one seem to be making a come back, wasnt able to inject it in to him, i just squashed him and squirted it ova him. pretty stupid now i think bout it.
i think this would be the easiest and cheapest way for y to get rid of these thing, very one has lemons and ya shold have syringe for ya test kits so yeah, its that easy.
also the lemon juice has had to ill effect on my tank. :D

acez28

i have been using Joe's juice but mine come back with alot more. I am investing in peppermint shrimp now. I want about 10-15 of them :)

cdn_beaver

I had the same problem. I got a piece of live rock from a local pet store, and soon after I had my very first anemone. I was really excited till I found out what it was. I since got a Pepermint Shrimp, and with in a day, there was no sign of the aiptasia, and havent seen any since. About 2 months.

barry cuda

Peppermints won't always eat them - especially if they're big. Another method is to use kalkwasser paste. Mix pickling lime (careful - this stuff is kind of nasty) with hot water into a toothpaste-consistency paste and shoot some into the mouth of the anemone with a turkey baster or syringe. That'll kill 'em real dead without scalding your hands :)

fishsticks

I have 3 peppermints in my 80 gal and any aiptasia that pops up is gone in less than a week. They do a great job for me.