please please help!!

jaynano

after having my 24g ap for about 10 months im having a problem w algea hair, cyno i upgraded my pump to a mj1200 i wanna know if anyone knows what kind of things should i get to eat the algea and does anyone have any experiance w the koralia 1 ph it seems like a lot of flow 400 gph i have a frogspawn hammer and torch also a ricordia . any help would be greatly appretiated

jaynano

my param. are good im adding calcium and magnesium right now my lfs does my testing it more cost effective for me (free) they do it because im a loyal customer i dont have a normal fish store the quarintine their fish before selling them they know their customers and what they have and they will refuse to sell certain things to u if they know what u have is not compatible w what u want so i trust them 110%

axle

how long are your lights on? you should try cutting down on the lights if you're leaving them on too long. good luck.

jonthefishguy

Originally Posted by Jaynano
my param. are good im adding calcium and magnesium right now my lfs does my testing it more cost effective for me (free) they do it because im a loyal customer i dont have a normal fish store the quarintine their fish before selling them they know their customers and what they have and they will refuse to sell certain things to u if they know what u have is not compatible w what u want so i trust them 110%
Taking someone else's word without knowing exactly what your water parameters is not a good idea. YOU
need to know what your water parameters are. GOOD doesnt cut it. GOOD could mean lots of things. I think you need to rethink your cost effectiveness and take the responsible approach and not be a cheapskate on testkits. Do your fish a favor and do the testing yourself. If you are going to take on the hobby, be responsible to at least know your water parameters and good husbandry habits. We cant help you solve issues with GOOD. JMO By the way, I cant tell you how many stories just like yours, turned out to be the quite opposite. Those who dont know & dont care to know, learn the hard way....

m0nk

If you're able to watch their testing methods, etc, I personally don't see any problem with letting the LFS do your tests. I used to use my LFS too, since I was already going there for other things so it made the job easier... and since I knew the test kits they were using and could watch them do the tests, I trusted the results. Of course, I also do my own testing, so I know what to look for when they do it.
At any rate, you should probably try to hunt down the source of the hair algae, which is likely phosphates being present in the water. It's an extra element that's likely getting into your water somehow, either at the water source, or through your salt. Are you using RO, RO/DI, or strait tap water? If you're getting RO water from your local Walmart (or something to that effect) they aren't likely doing De-ionization, a process which usually gets rid of minute amounts of phosphates that can cause the hair algae to spread. Tap water is just a bad idea unless you're really experienced and are testing for everything under the sun (the tests you need to do on tap water to properly use it aren't things sold at your LFS, but most along the lines of hardware). RO/DI water is your best bet to prevent hair algae since it will get rid of 99% of contaminants that cause problems in SW tanks.
You should test (or have your LFS test) your water source prior to mixing salt, as well as your mixed salt water, prior to it's introduction into your tank. I would bet that one of these tests will yield your source.

axle

somebody needs to calm down. not everybody is an expert in this hobby.

jaynano, try what monk is talkin about.
good luck.

jaynano

thank you monk and axle i do watch my lfs test my water and i know what my levels r i just dont feel that i need to post them because i asked about my clean up crew and the power head i dont ask many questionns on here because of people like that who think they know more than the next guy and then flame u for not doing things their way again thank you monk and axle and anyothe advise would be awsome!