please post pics of amazing coraline algae on your rock

espkh9

please post pics of super colored purple and pink coraline algae completely covering your LR...also please post how long it took to get the color and the coraline algae all over your tank...and what you did...thanks

socal57che

This is at about 1 year on our 100G. We did absolutely nothing to achieve this. Every rock was COVERED to the max.

fats71

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2583893
This is at about 1 year on our 100G. We did absolutely nothing to achieve this. Every rock was COVERED to the max.
Thats sick I have run too much flow so it has lowered growth I think so im shutting down the koralia 4 and runnin the 3 only plus the fluval fx5 and the wet./drys power heads.

espkh9

doing nothing ? what do you mean please elborate I have my tank and tried purple up as well and mine is a 125 reef with many many corals and I have 10 percent of coraline algae than your tank mine is running well over a year...so please help me out here.

socal57che

Originally Posted by Espkh9
http:///forum/post/2583902
doing nothing ? what do you mean please elborate I have my tank and tried purple up as well and mine is a 125 reef with many many corals and I have 10 percent of coraline algae than your tank mine is running well over a year...so please help me out here.
Tank was FOWLR and had the cheap standard fluorescent hoods with factory bulbs plus a 48" standard 50/50 bulb so less than 1 watt per gallon. Water changes......what water changes. No skimmer. Substrate was fine sand. We used IO salt mix. Really, we didn't do a thing.
Our 72bow has some coralline, but nothing like this thing. When we broke it down some guy bought nearly all the rock even though it was loaded with aiptasia.

espkh9

i'm still not getting how you achieved this great accomplishment...I do weekly and monthly water changes for 2 years and I have about 10% of coraline algae growth as you I have a phosphate reactor a great skimmer and a wet/dry all levels are always perfect..so please help me again im sorry for the ignorance lol but help me get my rocks like yours... please lol

natclanwy

Coraline seems to grow better in low light areas mine grows faster on the bottom of my rocks and other shaded areas than it does on the tops. It also doesn't grow unless I keep my calcium and alk up with kalk dosing. Coraline in my tank doesn't seem to be effected by flow I have about 1800gph in my 55g tank and it grows just as fast if not faster than when I had 800gph. It even grows all over and even on the snail guard of my koralia 4 powerhead. The two things on SoCals tank that stand out to me is the low light from the strip lights and it was FOWLR so no critters to compete for calcium.

espkh9

is 260 watts pc for a 65 considered low lighting ?
and i started dosing in there purple up saw ome growth.
but this tank has no been dosed with copper for fish treatment who knows what colors they will have now...im also running phosban in one of the filters.

socal57che

http:///forum/post/2584009
is 260 watts pc for a 65 considered low lighting ?
Not unless you compare it to a tank with a bunch of halides hanging over it. I have 260w PC on our 72.
Most of the coralline is low in the tank and on surfaces without direct light.
If you want to try decreasing your photo period you can, but you don't want to starve your coral of light either.

espkh9

well in my reef my actinic are 260w and MH are 2x250 phoenix 14k...using purple up levels are perfect after 1 year I have a lot of coraline algae just not to the point where its on the glass or completely on every rock.. I want it on every rock I want the rocks to be purple.

scopus tang

Espkh9, here is some picture of one of mine from several years ago. This was accomplished under PC lighting only; both lights were actinics (a 65W and 55W). I was at the time using the bionic two-part supplement, and dosing both iodine and strontium. I also have another friend who has absolutely amazing growth in his 70 something bowfront right now ~ again under PC lighting only. My experience with MH lighting is that it actually seems to inhibit growth of coralline on the surface of rocks etc. I believe the coralline flourishes best under lower lighting as others have said, but I also believe it does best under the purple/blue of actinics. JMO

perfectdark

http:///forum/post/2585485
I run actincs pc's for 12 hours a day should I dose the purple up b4 the MH goes on ?
You SHOULD NOT dose anything you do not test for. Depending on what your calcium level is already dosing my increase it to dangerous levels. I have read a few different articles that coraline actually grows faster under actinic lighting and does seem to respond better to PC or std flourescent lighting. IMO It seems to be the difference in bulb type. Unfortunatly seeing as though it is a type of algae you run the risk of increase the growth of nuiessance algae too. When I had my tank on PC's and T5's my algae blooms were horrible, when I switched to MH, they seemed to go away. JME.

espkh9

calcium and iodine testing are done daily.
last calcium test was 400 ppm so a little purple up wont hurt. besides my desired level is between 450-500ppm. but thanks,

emm0909

I don't really understand the love for coraline. When you first set a tank up the idea of getting everything all purple sounds fun. Just like when you first get start polyps you want them to grow all over the tank. My tank just lost most of its coraline and my corals are doing wonderful. My tank walls are clean and the tank looks great. Get some corals and worry about keeping them alive. Coraline is just algae. If you focus on making that grow you'll complicate other things.
Two more things: Purple up is just something that will increase your calcium levels and don't dose anything you don't test for. You're just causing problems for yourself.

A

alexmir

Just bought 21 lbs of rock from a local guy for 60$. Its covered in pink and purple coraline! I will get a pic of some of the rock tomorrow.

copeseter

the areas I get the most growth is in high flow areas, such as banking a powerhead off the glass. The glass gets covered in it in no time and then spreads from there. I always say be careful what you wish for, I have to scrape the dam glass everyday to keep it off.